Chapter Twenty-Three

Edmund's POV

"I'm sorry I was such an arse, to the both of you." I apologised quietly.

"Don't worry about it Ed, besides I think of her as my sister. To me she is like Lucy to you." He patted me on the back.

"Look!" I pointed to the valley of gold. "Treasure."

"Trouble." Caspian reminded me. We hurried down to investigate.

There was gold everywhere. I could see a piece of leather nearby, smoke rising from it. Eustace's shoe. "Eustace." I breathed.

I looked further ahead. "No!" There was a pile of clothing, smoking just like the shoe. "Our cousin. He was just a boy."

"I'm sorry." Caspian rested a hand on my shoulder.

"I should never have left him. What could have happened to him?"

"In this place? Anything." Caspian replied. Looking around. "And he wasn't the first! It's Lord Octesian!"

I looked to where Caspian was standing, in front of a skeleton. Behind him there was a glinted of silver. I reached forwards and grabbed the swords hilt.

"We should find his-" He paused, looking at the sword in my hand. "-sword."

There was a loud roar in the distance.

"We should go." Caspian murmured, looking up at the sky.

I nodded, glancing once more at the burnt clothing of Eustace's.

---

It was as we were walking back to the long boat that the noise came. Wings. I turned just in time to see a dragon swooping behind us, before it grabbed me in its hands and soared over the ocean. I struggled against its grip. Lexi and Lucy were watching frantically from the upper deck.

"Edmund!" Lexi screamed.

"Lexi! Lucy!"

The dragon dodged the ship and flew back towards the island. We flew over rocks and bubbling lava. As we passed over a mound of rocks I gasped.

I AM EUSTACE was written with fire.

"You've got to be joking?"

The dragon, Eustace, growled in response.

---

Alexis's POV

"Everyone knows a dragon's treasure is enchanted." Caspian stated.

Eustace rolled his eyes and grumbled.

"Well, anyone from here."

Eustace began scratching at his arm and dragging it along the gravelly ground.

"What's that?" I pointed to the golden ring around his arm.

Lucy stepped forwards and tugged it off. The dragon, I mean Eustace, let out a cry.