chapter seven

lucas.

lucas is awoken by the sound of his parents yelling. he can vaguely hear their argument, it's about jordan of course, he can hear a few words that's being spat out of their mouths. jordan had not still come home and they were both worried, it's past midnight and he hasn't called or responded to any of their messages.

he comes out of his bedroom to eavesdrop on their argument. their door is slightly open so lucas stands behind it.

"i don't know why you're fucking blaming me for this. i already feel bad enough that my own son hates me and now my husband is saying that it's my fault," he hears his mom, zayn say. he can tell he's really upset and lucas hates seeing him like this.

"don't act like the victim now, i told you to get rid of that picture twelve years ago. why did you still have it zayn?" liam questions.

"i didn't know he would find it. it's not my fucking fault," zayn responds.

"well then whose fault is it? you had two options. you either tell him the full truth or keep him in the dark all together. but don't lead him on with half truths, that's only going to make him resent you like he is now," liam says.

"you know i can't tell him the truth," zayn says, his voice lower this time that lucas almost doesn't hear it. "but i can't keep him in the dark either, i know this."

"you can only have one," liam says.

"i know. he has to know the truth, but i can't be the one to tell him, it's too painful to talk about. i called my brother, jordan admires him. he's going to be the one to tell him everything," zayn admits.

"why didn't you ask me first? you know how i feel about him," liam grumbles, seeming very upset with the idea.

"regardless of how you feel about zayaad, he's my brother and this is my house too. he's more than welcome here," zayn says, making liam grumble in annoyance.

lucas is a bit surprised at that. they haven't seen their uncle in six years. he always used to visit them but at some point he just stopped. they all liked him, he always got them presents and took them to exciting places.

"fine," liam agrees reluctantly.

"do you really think i'm a bad parent?" zayn asks his husband.

"i never said that," liam responds. "of course you're not. if anything i am, i've been so busy at work. fuck, maybe that's the reason jordan is looking for his father, because of my absence."

"i didn't want to say anything but you never spend time with them anymore," zayn says. "but you're not a bad father, they know that."

"i really need to spend time with them though, i'll take some time off work."

at this point lucas gets tired of standing by the door and eavesdropping. so he goes back to his room, picks up his phone and texts someone.

lucas: are you up?

he gets an instant response.

justin🐥: yeah why?

lucas: open your window i'm sneaking in

justin🐥: ok

his parents don't notice, but he's been sneaking out of the house almost every night to hang out with his best friend, justin. he lives only a house away and lucas has mastered the art of sneaking out of his window and going into his.

"what's up?" justin asks as he enters his bedroom. he knocks out on his friends bed.

"i don't know, my house feels tense," he responds.