chapter fourteen

the next day both zayn and liam wake up early to prepare breakfast for themselves and the kids.

"i was thinking about what happened last night," liam starts the conversation. he's holding a cup of coffee in a mug that jordan made for him when he was nine. it has a fading "worlds best dad" messily written on it.

"what about it?" zayn asks.

"maybe you don't have to get another birth control. i could just get a vasectomy," liam says like its the most casual thing ever.

"a vasectomy?" zayn repeats wondering why in hell liam would want that. "why?"

"we don't want any more kids, you don't have to be burdened with taking pills to prevent them," liam says. "it's the reasonable thing to do."

"what if we change our minds later? i don't want you to have a vasectomy," zayn argues.

"what's a vasectomy?" oliver's voice interrupts them making the both of them go tense. they didn't even realize he was in the kitchen with them.

"uh," liam starts.

"never-mind, i'll just google it," oliver says, getting a glass cup to fetch himself some water.

zayn and liam exchange looks wondering if they should say anything, but none of them do.

later, the dining table is full as everyone arrives for breakfast, including zayaad.

"dad is cutting his penis off," oliver brings up in the middle of breakfast. liam who was eating a piece of bacon chokes on his food.

"no he's not. and that is not breakfast talk oliver," zayn chastises. lucas and jordan grimaces at their brothers choice of words.

"but that is what a vasectomy means," oliver says.

zayaad seems to find out funny and laughs out loud. "you're getting a vasectomy?"

"it's really none of your business," liam says to zayn's brother.

"well i am in full support of dad cutting off his penis. we don't need anymore payne siblings," jordan says, breaking the glare that liam and zayaad share.

"that is not what a vasectomy means," noah tries to correct.

"i know smartass, it's called a joke, how do you even know what a vasectomy means? you're twelve," jordan retorts.

"i know everything," noah says smugly.

"yeah no there are tons of things you don't know. like how to make friends or act like a normal person," jordan says.

"jordan!" almost everyone on the dining table says.

"what? i was joking," jordan raises his hands in surrender. noah looks like his words really got to him but he chooses to remain quiet. "oh come on noah, you know i didn't mean that."

"why can't we just have one normal breakfast," zayn sighs. "noah your brother was just messing around. he didn't mean that and he should apologize right now."

"fine," jordan says. "noah i'm sorry you're so sensitive that you couldn't handle a joke."

"that's not what i meant," zayn says. "you know what? new breakfast rule. no one is allowed to speak anymore."

"i can live with that," liam sighs. when he's done with breakfast, he lives for work.

"jordan i'm getting a ride with justin, you can go without me," lucas says, walking towards his boyfriends house which isn't very far.

"cool," jordan says.

the bus arrives and noah and oliver rush out to get there. zayn holds oliver back and helps him adjust the collar of his shirt.