chapter forty-eight

jordan grips the chair as he listens to his parent talk, half expecting them to bring up his biological father. only halfway through the conversation does he realize that they have no idea about that.

they're concerned because they saw the video of him doing drugs that sort of went viral. jordan is mortified about that, he didn't expect his parents to find that.

"i'm already working on getting it deleted. you're a minor and it was taken without your consent," liam says.

"okay," jordan says, not able to look him in the eye.

"you can talk to us about anything jordan. if you have a problem, no matter how bad or embarrassing it is, we're your parents and we'll do anything for you," zayn says. "so please let us know what's going on with you."

they both look at him, expecting him to say something.

"i think i just let myself be influenced by people," jordan says. "i'm not a drug addict, i promise. everyone else was doing it and i didn't want to feel left out. it was stupid and i'm sorry."

"is there any other substance you use that we should be aware of?" liam questions. he doesn't want to implicate theo and let jordan know that he said something to liam. jordan is very observant so just mentioning it will instantly make him realize.

jordan shakes his head.

"i don't exactly trust you right now," liam says. "you told me you were better. you said you were fine without therapy when you obviously aren't."

"i am!" jordan says, being defensive.

"no. you're not. you're going back to dr. miller, no objections," liam says. "also there's going to be some new rules for you."

"no going out after seven pm," liam says.

"what? that's insane dad," jordan frowns.

"and we're taking away your car," zayn adds.

"no, please," jordan says, giving a sad face. but it doesn't work, zayn and liam know how manipulative he can be so they agreed to be stern with his punishment. "what if i need to go out?"

"i'll drive you," liam says.

"what if you're at work?" jordan asks.

"then your mother will,"

"but he's pregnant, that's not fair to him,"

"you're concerned about my wellbeing now?" zayn shakes his head, unamused.

"i always am," jordan says.

"nope. that's not gonna work," zayn shakes his head, knowing what jordan is up to. he's trying to suck up to zayn so he can lessen his punishment.

"look jordan, we don't enjoy punishing you. we're only trying to protect you. trust me, this is the most lenient thing we could have done," liam explains. "so don't make this harder than it should be."

jordan looks down. his dad is right, it could have been so much worse. they could have decided to search his room, or take his phone, or even send him to a mental clinic. he thinks they're walking on eggshells around him because of his mental illness, they don't want him to have a breakdown.

"mom, dad," he takes a breath. "i'm sorry for being a disappointment. i'll accept my punishment."

"no, honey. you're not a disappointment, not at all," zayn says. but jordan doesn't believe him.

"i think i need to go to my room," jordan says, standing up and leaving zayn and liam alone.

"i'll go talk to him," liam says, trying to get up. zayn touches his chest lightly and shakes his head.