Chapter 1 : The Karter Children

"Honey... You need to wake up now" says a light gentle voice.

For a second, I think its my mom. a slight smile forms on my lips, but disapears when I open my eyes and see this lady that is not my mom.

"Who are you?" I scoff.

"I'm Hannah Karter, Jared's wife," she smiles, "We have to leave in an hour if we want to catch our plane."

I shut my eyes tightly and then open them up again. I don't really want to get on the plane, but I guess I have to... Since my mom and dad are dead. "Alright, I'll be down in a minute."

"Okay, darling," she says trying to comfort me and then leave the room.

When she leaves I quickly pack up my wardrobe in 3 suitcases and then throw on a pair of sweatpants and a black v-neck.

I drag all 3 of my suitcases downstairs and see her at the bottom of the stairs with a fake smile plastered on her face.

"Here, let help you with that."

"Okay..." I say.

She helps me pull the suitcases out to her car. A perfect white porche. Great... They're rich... She looks down at her watch and tells me that we better get going.

On our way to the airport, she tries to make small talk with me. Like how I am and that she feel sorry for me about my parents... Or rather she tries...

"I'm so sorry about your parents, Jasmine. I don't know what I do if I lost my parents at...," she says, but I cut her off.

"Look, the last thing I need is pity from you... I know you might think you're trying to be nice, but it's not working. It just makes me feel worse so if you could just cut the small talk and we not pretend that you like me or that were best friends, that would be great," I snap at her.

I look forward. But everytime I look over at her, her mouth is pursed and hurt is written all over her face. It takes me a couple minutes but then I start to feel really really guilty. I mean she is taking me into her home and all that.

" I'm sorry Hannah, It's just it happened so suddenly. I just... it hurts to talk about it and now I feel really awful... Because I know that you're taking me into your home. And giving me a place to live. And caring for me. I just miss my mom and dad, that's all," I say gazing out the window.

"It's Okay, let's just start over," She stops at a red light and holds out her hand, "Hi Jasmine, I'm Hannah Karter, Jared's wife."

I smile at the gesture and hold out my hand. "Hey, I'm Jasmine, but you can call me Jazzy."

"Okay, Jazzy. There is something I need to tell you about my family, though."

I nod in anticipation. "Okay, what is it?" I ask as she pulled up to the airport and parks. As we get out of the car and pull my suitcases out of the car too, she mumbles something that I don't quite catch. 

"What was that?" I ask.

She stops pulling my suitcase for a second. "I have 9 kids," she says quickly, but loud enough that I can hear it.

"9?!" I say, almost scream.

"Yes, dear, 9," she smiles at me weakly. "I'll tell you about them when we get on the plane."

*********

We sit down on the chairs, in first class on the plane.

"So, tell me about your children," i say a little awkwardly.

"Well, there's Jake. He is 20 and is engaged and has a newborn on the way. 

Derek's 18, and a school fanatic.