Chapter 22 : Talking To Her

Jeremiah's POV :

After changing back into my clothes and the doctor signing for release, I go into Jasmine's room. They're asking her questions about herself.

"Are you her legal guardian?" the doctor asks my Mom. She nods and they go out into the hall, I'm listening to them.

"It's bad, her memory is very very faulty. The only thing she remembered was her name because someone told her. Her long term memory was affected, but she'll be able to remember things after the few small tests I've ran, so that's good."

"Jeremiah?" Jasmine says, timidly.

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry," she says looking at her cast on her arm.

"For what?" I ask her gently, sitting on her bed.

"Getting us into this mess."

"Stop it, I lost control of the car," I tell her.

She looks at my cast, "Look, we're both at fault, okay?" I sit at the foot of her bed. "Why did you cheat?" she asks after a minute.

"I... I don't know," I say softly and I look at her and I can see her face was full of hurt, even though she doesn't remember me.

"Was it me?" she says quietly.

"No, it was me. Your best friend was crying and she leaned in and kissed me and I kissed her back," I tell her.

"Some best friend... We aren't still friends, right?" I shake my head no.

I think of Genna, but don't mention her. "Frankie and Kaytlyn are good friends of yours. They stopped talking to Kelsey because she cheated and became really close to you. I gotta make a call realy quick," I tell her and go into the hall and call Genna.

"Jeremiah?" she answers.

"Yeah, it's me. Listen, I have to tell you something."

"Okay, spit it out."

"Jazzy and I got in a car accident... I just broke my arm, but she...," my eyes start watering, "she doesn't remember anything or anyone."

"You mean... she won't remember anything about me?" she says, sounding hurt.

"Yes, trust me, I know how it feels."

"NO! No you don't!!! Jazzy and I have known each other for 10 years and all of that is in the freaking trash Jeremiah!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT FEELS LIKE," she screams and then sobs and then hangs up.

I close my eyes and go out to the waiting room. I spot a man in his 30s on a laptop. "Do you mind if I use this for a second?"

"What for?" he asks.

"My girlfriend," wow that feels good on my lips, "lost her memory and I just told her best friend in Illinois and I want to book her a flight before I forget," I tell him. He contemplates it and then nods.

"Quickly please," he says and I quickly book her a flight. I call her back. "I'm sorry for yelling at you," she greets me.

"No, I understand," I tell her. "I just booked you a flight for New Jersey at 7 am in a week."

"You what?!" she screams.

"Be there," I tell her, hanging up and walking in Jasmine's room.

"What took you so long?" she asks.

"Sorry, doing something," I tell her softly and sit by her side. Even with scars in her face, she looks beautiful. I move a piece of hair from her face.

"You're so beautiful," I tell her and she blushes and moves her face away from my hands.

I wish she would just remember me... remember us... I wish she still loved me.