08 | chapter eight

Niklaus Wade

Niklaus Wade

      I'm surrounded by complete and utter darkness.

It fills every possible empty space without a trace of any light to remain. I can't see anything, my hands reach out trying to find a light source but it felt impossible. The darkness scared me, made me feel like anything could be in front of me at this exact moment but I couldn't see it. There was fear inside me as I moved constantly, reverently but it didn't feel like I was moving at all. It felt like I was stuck in the same space continuously without their being an ending to the darkness that consumed me.

There's a sound followed by a gust of wind that has me relentlessly turning around to grasp which direction it's coming from but I wasn't able to make sense of anything. The sound grew louder, it was screaming, the tone of the voice high pitched. There was muffled yelling and I felt pain traveling through me but I hadn't been hit nor had I been attacked.

The darkness fades and my eyes now peer at a wooden door with holes in them. The holes on the door looked like the person who created these crater like dents was forcefully trying to get inside whatever room this led to. Then my eyes caught the doorknob...there wasn't one. It was just a hole now, the place empty of the silver knob used to get in and get out.

My chest constricted and I backed away with shaking hands. I knew this door. Shaking my head as I tried to escape whatever hell this was, it doesn't work at all. Instead, the door flies open and with a shriek I'm pulled straight inside the room.

I fall onto my knees, my head spinning in every direction as I look around frantically inside the room I've been sucked into. I know this room. The fireplace that was never lit because it didn't actually work, the ceilings that had the largest cracks and dents in them. The hardwood flooring that had occasional spots of dried...dried blood.

The smell that drifted throughout the room was all too familiar, so familiar that the same fear twisted my insides together into knots I didn't know whether or not I'd be able to untangle. I'm scared, terrified even. My worst fear are those two faces popping up before me but I knew my worst fears would only be brought to light and unfortunately I couldn't have been more right.

In the midst of the room I see figures. Two hover above the smaller figure, the whimpers and cries floated to my ears, paralyzing me completely. My blue eyes water as my eyes make out that the quivering and awfully scared smaller figure is me. My younger self is shivering but it wasn't from the cold that was swirling through the air, it's from the fear that was shaking through me.

My frail body with my stick like arms were covered in markings of bruises of colors from black to blue or purple. All sore bruises that I feel as I caress my own body with a shiver of mortification crawling up my skin. Dried tears stained my face and noises of pain escape past my lips but there were no more tears falling down my face.