28 | chapter twenty-eight

Niklaus Wade

Niklaus Wade

It's extremely peaceful up here, the only sounds drifting into the hallow shell of my ears are the honking sounds of drivers trying to get a parking space but being unable to because every spot is taken but also because some of the people in this town couldn't drive well, or just decided to make bad decisions when they chose to drive.

I hear a ding followed by the sound of the soft padding of footsteps. My head whips back quickly because the smell that drifted into my nose was unfamiliar but I didn't see an intruder, I only saw Aaron. He wasn't wearing what he wore before, he was now in a basic short sleeved black top with regular blue ripped jeans. White checkered vans grace his feet and his hair was brushed in a backwards motion with some stray strands escaping the slicked bunch.

He gives me a sheepish smile that I don't know how to respond to but his demeanor makes me relax as he comes forward, closer to me until he's right beside me. He isn't extremely close to me but he's a close enough distant to where if I took three steps I'd be right in front of him. Not saying anything at first, I try to grow accustomed to him being with me but it's hard to do.

He's the reason Nash and I fought but I couldn't really blame him because all he did was provoke the bear, it was Nash that reacted and said those words to me but being in Aaron's presence wasn't comfortable. I don't know what it is about him but he rubs me the wrong way, this could be me overthinking things because of the current tussle between Nash and I.

"I'm sorry," he says and I look at him, "it's my fault your fought with your...boyfriend?"

The way he said boyfriend told me he wasn't sure if that's what Nash was to me. We were more of mates, soul mates paired to be with each other but in human terms I would classify us as boyfriends. I nodded my head towards him and he silently nodded his head, an 'ah' falling of his mouth as he looks up at the sky.

"What's his name?" He asks me without looking at me.

I continue to look at him, unsure of how to respond because I couldn't exactly speak but I wasn't really sure if I should respond to begin with. Truthfully, I wasn't sure what he wanted with me because there was no way he was actually interested me. I mean, it was possible but I couldn't really believe that he was. He's attractive, sure, but he's not Nash attractive but then again no one was as attractive as he was in my eyes so I became bias in that area.

When I don't give him a response, he turns to look at me again and quirks his eyebrows up. I shake my head, as if telling him I couldn't speak but he still didn't get it. I reach into my back pocket but I didn't have my phone with me and that's when I remember that I gave it to Hazel to hold because I had slight anxiety about keeping my phone in my back pocket because pick pocketer's existed and Hazel came with a hand bag.