Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Unhappy

"You can run," I heard my father whispered beside me. We were patiently waiting for the door to open when he suddenly spoke and what surprised me more isn't the words he said. It's his voice that sounded concerned... worried.

"You don't have to force yourself into this mess," he uttered and I can't see anything but pure sincerity and guilt in his eyes. I can feel he's torn between letting me go and letting me stay.

I'm torn as well. I don't want this marriage. But, if I run, what will happen to them? I'm more afraid of the consequences it may bring to my parents and to the company they worked hard for for years.

In the end, I only smiled and held onto his arm tightly. I have nothing to lose. But they have. I love them. And they're more important than my own plans. If I ever regret anything after this wedding, there's no one to blame but myself.

"There's no one to blame..." I whispered to myself while staring at the empty glass of wine in front of me, tears starting to pool my eyes.

I know I was gonna regret this but I never thought that I'd end up in this kind of situation, where I feel useless, tired, and broke. This isn't what I had in mind when I signed up for this.

My tears started dripping when I heard the door clicked, and quickly, I wiped my tears off and acted normal as he walks to the living room.

One sip, my eyes caught him walking while staring at me. By the sound of his shoes ticking the tiled floor, I know he's coming close to where I was. And when I heard him stop, I turned to face him, faked a smile.

"Don't tell me you were waiting for me?" sarcasm etched in his voice. I unconsciously balled my fists, trying to control my senses.

"I wasn't," I told him. He looked away with a scowl and proceeded to the stairs. I watched him until he disappeared from my sight, thinking how did I even put up with him?

Four months. That's how long I'm living in this hell. The first few weeks were not much of a misery but as the days pass, he began to show his true color. Black. It was bearable, at first, but it didn't last long.

Some days, he'd become so aggressive that he breaks everything in sight. I have no idea why he was so angry but as what I've observe, his househelps weren't even surprise if he happens to act like that. I've come to realize that he often does it especially when something bad comes up with work.

Since then, I secretly keep track of what's going on with my father's company. I know that my husband has been helping to work out the problems within it base on the agreement made by this fixed marriage. But I can't help but wonder about how the company is coping.

I've heard lately that the economy's not so good. Small businesses were failing and big companies are losing so much. If I'm not mistaken, the Jeons were one of the them.

"Dad, I think it's better if you take over the company once again. I have a feeling that Jungkook's having a rough time especially when their company is on big stake because of the poor economy," I told my dad one time when he called to check on me.

"You don't have to worry about anything, Liz. Trust him on this," that's what he only said.

I'd like to trust him just like what my father told me but something isn't right. I know it's just probably me talking just to get out of this life but could I blame myself? Who would want this to happen?

After finishing my wine, I headed upstairs. I'd pass by his room before mine so I'm kind of careful when it comes to my steps. He's sensitive when it comes to his personal things and space.

We don't share the same bed. I'm thankful that we don't. Tho our parents expected us to share the room and possibly develop feelings for each other but it's not the case for us. None of us wanted it.

We're only sharing the roof and nothing more. Even our interests are different. He talks business most of the time while I speak of dreams. Among our interests, maybe these are the ones that almost match. We're still strangers at the end of the day.

"I'll be gone for two days," he said during breakfast. I looked at him thinking that he's talking to me but when I saw he was directing it to one of the maidservants, I sighed. We don't talk about anything especially of his whereabouts so I was surprised.

"Right, sir. We'll get your things ready," the eldest of them replied. She's the head of the kitchen and of the whole household. She's been working here for almost fifteen years already, back when he was still a kid. I was impressed by how she managed to stay despite her master's attitude.

Silence filled the dining again. Until we're done, only the utensils and the plates were making some noise.

He went to work while I'm still at home reviewing something 'bout the restaurant. A knock came to the door before it slowly opened. Ella, one of the helps, came in with some snacks.

"Sorry, did I disturb you?" she asked as she put the sandwiches down on the small table near the door.

"No. I'm actually bored," I smiled at her. I'm glad that I met her. At least, I have someone here to talk to and ease my stress. She's a year younger than me and has been working here for two years now. She's the youngest of them.

"Won't you go to your restaurant?"

"I will. I'm just getting myself into mood," I told her. I noticed how she looked concerned suddenly, like she's sorry 'bout something when she didn't do anything wrong.

What she had on is the look they always give me when he's angry. Pity. To be honest, I hate them when they look at like that. I know I look pathetic but I'm not used to getting sympathies from people.

I'm not asking for it. I don't want it. I know they care for me but looking at me like that doesn't help at all. It only makes me think that I'm weak, that there's no way out of this, that I'll forever be unhappy with him. I want to clear my mind off him but they continue to remind me that I'm stuck in his hell.

"You can leave. They might need you downstairs," I dismissed. I sighed heavily and leaned back on the chair the second she left.

I can't take this anymore.