Chapter 12: Fallen*

* 1st person POV *

It's been ten years since I've been stuck in this hell hole. Ten years since I've seen proper daylight. And ten years since I've experienced the taste of freedom...

It wasn't always this bad though. I had my friends to keep me on my feet, pick me up whenever I fell and push me when I felt like giving up. We shared our joy; we divided our food, and we always stayed together. That is... before the accident.

______________

"Something bad is coming." Whispered Nabi between her bites, looking up from her bread and towards myself and Angelica, her bright brow eyes looking cautious.

"What can be worse than what we're in?" Scoffed Angelica and rolled her eyes before biting down on the single bread each of us was given.

"I can't deny Nabi's predictions can come true." I spoke up and instantly felt Angelica's cold blue eyes on me. She raised an eyebrow and replied, "I predict I'll finish this bread in four more bites. See? I can predict obvious stuff too."

"I'm serious Angelica!" Nabi protested and furrowed her brows. "Hoseok, please make her understand!" She pleaded.

I raised my hands in surrender and smiled softly, my body filling with warmth as I looked at both of my friends sitting beside me. My soup might be cold, but it didn't bother me as long as they warmed me up.

Currently, the three of us, together with all the other slaves, were sitting on the muddy ground, eating our dinner and talking one over the other. Our chatter didn't bother the other residents as long as we kept it quiet. The master doesn't like it when we cause too much noise, but at the same time he requires us to look and sound 'livelier'.

The dinner continued on until everybody ate their portions and after that all of us went to our bedrooms, ten people in a bedroom that could fit five. The next day our chores varied from cleaning to cooking, watering the garden to maintaining the mention, all the while I'm trying to cheer everybody up. I hated it whenever people looked sad or depressed so I made it my personal job to cheer them up. As might be expected, it didn't always work, but at least I tried.

There was one day from the whole month that everybody despised and feared.

Selection day.

Each month, three slaves would be selected and sent away, but nobody knows where and what happens to them. Or at least they won't inform me. Some come back, but they never share what they've been through.

Our master wasn't a vampire, so it doesn't make sense for us to be his next 'meal'. He wasn't a doctor to experiment on us, nor was he a human that sold us as livestock.

Fast forward a couple of days and it was already selection day, though this time it was different. Every time, they would call anyone elderly or sick, but for the first time they called in three names that were in excellent condition.

Two I wasn't really close to, but the third I knew dearly. Nabi.

Her eyes went wide and fear veiled her face. "Me?" She shakingly asked, hoping that she heard wrong. Alas, it was undoubtedly her name and her usually dark complexion went pale.

As she moved away from the crowd, Angelica suddenly gripped her and pulled her back. "Stay here." She ordered and went to walk away from us before Nabi and I grabbed her by the wrists.

"What are you thinking?" I hissed and narrowed my eyes, tightening my grip around her wrist.

"Saving my friend." She replied and furrowed her brows angrily.

"Don't be so selfish!" I growled and didn't let go of her arm even when she tried wiggling it out. In the end, I gave her a final stern look before confronting the chief servant, who was an employee rather than a slave. "Why are young ones being called out?"

"Orders." He clearly replied and didn't give me a second glance, even when I called out to him again. "Can Nabi please come forward?" The servant spoke up.

"Let it go guys. I'm sure I'll be back!" Nabi assured us and squeezed our hands firmly before letting go and offering us a final tender smile.

Subsequently she never came back.

It wasn't long until they called Angelica and finally myself.

With a broken heart, I was prepared to face everything thrown at my face, but unfortunately, I had to deal with something far greater than my ability could.

"Oho~" What I assumed was the master exclaimed in amusement."I wasn't expecting one of your kind to be here." He added, his voice sounding too excited.

"Don't enjoy it for long. I know you'll end me soon enough." I added and looked down, unable to see the man sitting in front of me, his wicked eyes piercing me.

"You're mistaken." He said and stood up from his throne to walk closer to me. "In fact, you're the perfect sacrifice." He lifted my chin, forcing me to look up to him and his sly smile. "My dear fallen angel."