Chapter 49: Surprise Guest

Namjoon's sleepy eyes suddenly shot open, his heart beating violently against his chest, threatening to burst his ribs open. His breathing fastened and he had to stand up from the bed, but the floor felt as if it was shifting from under his feet. He sat on the edge of the bed, his fingers burying themselves deep into his hair.

Although Hoseok was staying in another room, he felt the unease his companion was feeling, his back itching from the tension in the air. He walked over to Namjoon's door, but hesitated to knock. It was pretty late and he thought maybe he was just being paranoid, but the feeling of uneasiness wouldn't leave his mind. In the end he knocked and a quiet "come in" was heard from the other side.

When Hoseok saw Namjoon pale and covered with sweat, he hurried towards him and kneeled on the floor in front of him, grabbing his face between his palms, muttering a soft "are you alright?" and then pulling him closer to himself when he did not answer and continued to stare at a dot between his feet.

"Something isn't right." Namjoon whispered, his head resting on the nape of Hoseok's neck.

"You know what it is?" Hoseok asked but felt the way the demon shook its head.

"Its just this strong sensation of emptiness that I suddenly felt, as if something was literally yanked from me." Namjoon later explained. The nephilim asked whether something was stolen but after a quick inspection, everything was in its place. "It doesn't make sense for it to be something from this room," Namjoon began and pulled Hoseok to sit beside him on the bed. "It feels as if... emotionally or mentally something has been taken away, maybe stolen." The demon frowned and later rested his head against his arm. "It must be something connected to the demon world, I must check." He added and stood up, extending his arm to open a portal but once his arm ran down through the air, no ripple effect was caused and no portal opened. "This is odd." He whispered to himself and tried it again but no such luck, the portal refused to open. "What the fuck?!" He cursed and inspected his own arm. There was nothing wrong, he could still feel his powers present yet he lost any connection to the portal he was granted by his master Astaroth.

A soft knocking was heard from the other side of the door and both Namjoon and Hoseok pointed their eyes towards the wooden door, their eyes meeting for a second in suspicion. Namjoon nodded and headed towards the door, his hand hovering over the handle. Once he took a deep breath, he pushed down the handle and opened the door, a young woman standing in front of him. She was wearing a single white dress despite the chilling weather outside, her silver hair barely covering her bare shoulders. Her blue eyes scanned the room, ignoring the demon in front of her, and finally landed in Hoseok, relief covering her face. She whispered his name between her pants and her eyelids felt heavy, her whole body falling to the ground but Namjoon managed to catch her in time.

He picked her up and laid her on his bed, pushing stands of hair off her now sleeping face.

"Who is she?" Hoseok questioned and went to wake her up, but Namjoon quickly stopped him, raising his eyebrows questionably at him.

"You don't recognize her?" The demon asked and his eyes shifted towards her for a second. When the nephilim shook his head, Namjoon furrowed his brows, "Hoseok, that's Nari." The demon began and pulled the bed sheets over her fragile body. "Jimin's daughter." He later added and his eyes softened once he caressed her cheek slightly.

It was only for a second but Hoseok managed to pick up on the slight gestures the demon made towards the woman on his bed. "I didn't recognize her like... that." Hoseok replied and looked at the fragile and dirty woman in front of his eyes. "She looks so different."

"A slave." Namjoon whispered upon further inspection. He had checked her body for signs of injury and noticed the burnt seal mark on her thight.

"What is she doing all the way here?" The nephilim asked when he noticed the seal mark of the famous dealer who lived further away from their current location. "More importantly, how did she find us? Do you think she regained her memories?" Hoseok asked and looked towards the demon that continued to stare towards Nari's delicate face.

"No." Namjoon began and slowly shifted his gaze towards the half angel next to him. "She hasn't." He added and went to sit as further away from her as possible, his expression turning dark. He couldn't get over the fact that Nari didn't even notice him standing there, her eyes just skipping him until they landed on Hoseok. After everything that happened between them, the demon won't be surprised if Nari chose to ignore him on purpose.

Long ago both of them had a connection but it was slowly dying together with her frail body, Namjoon forced to watch from the sidelines as her body slowly gave in the immense pressure put by her father.