Chapter 19: Discovery*

After the royal Prince had left the palace, Ru Shi was left to wonder around the castle, no one paying her much attention. She walked around the hallways in awe as she observed the painted walls and ceilings of some rooms, reminding her of the paintings some European merchants used to bring over the castle back home.

Ru Shi sighed and continued examining the castle, still not encountering anyone significant except the master of the place.

As she walked, she noticed a tiny door at the final floor at the end of the corridor, away from everyone's view. She decided it was probably a storage room but decided to inspect it, nonetheless. There was nothing else she could do, so why not?

Pulling the door gently, she saw that it leads to stairs even further up and curiously went up, thanking the narrow glass windows that dimly lit her way

Pulling the door gently, she saw that it leads to stairs even further up and curiously went up, thanking the narrow glass windows that dimly lit her way. After reaching the end of it, she noticed it was in fact a storage room, but rather than supplies, there were various books and paintings, some which were covered by a white dusted cloth.

 After reaching the end of it, she noticed it was in fact a storage room, but rather than supplies, there were various books and paintings, some which were covered by a white dusted cloth

Ru Shi walked around and picked up a book which was handwritten and bound in leather. Carefully, she flipped the pages and tried to read whatever was inside but unfortunately it was in ancient Latin so many the words were unfamiliar to her.

Frustrated, she returned the book to its place and picked another one, probably even older than the one before. Unlike the first one, this was written in Korean, although a more ancient version.

It spoke of a traveler who described diverse cultures and traditions around the world, nothing Ru Shi did not already know about.

Book after book, Ru Shi devoted half the day reading on knowledge she might find valuable some other time. Some books she already read, others she found more... interesting.

One particular book that she had been hooked up was a torn out diary with missing pages. It wasn't clear who the owner was, but it was evident they were long dead by the looks of how the ink was slowly fading.

Skimming the pages around, the young royal tried discovering what the author was. It was definitely not a human, but neither was it a vampire. It's behaviour suggested something more animal like, but with enough human intelligence to read and write.

"Shapeshifter." Ru Shi whispered when the owner finally described one of their transformations. It was then that it made sense to her. This was no diary, but a series of letters.

With a troubled heart, I picked up my brush and started painting the king with his late queen, who had lost her life when giving birth to a pair of twins, a boy and a girl.
I'm writing this because; I don't want you to forget. Generations will pass, and you'll have no other choice but to forget the past in order to remember the present.
Please, at least don't forget about her. She was everything to me, and I know she meant the world to you.
I know my sister can be safe in your hands.

After closing the diary, Ru Shi went uncovering two of the painting that were covered with a white cloth. One was about three meters tall and stood leaning against the wall while the other was smaller, about a meter tall and a meter and a half wide.

When Ru Shi uncovered them, it took her a while to process what she was witnessing. She blinked, trying to see if her vision was lying to her, but no, she was clearly seeing herself standing next to a young man with silver like hair. She was smiling in the painting, supporting a child while the man held the other. The late queen... died while giving birth to a pair of twins. That queen was a spitting image of her and Ru Shi felt weirdly uncomfortable about it. 

_______

Guys, I wanted to thank you guys for 2k reads ❤❤❤😭😭😭