Chapter Twenty-Four -

Lisa

- www –

At Jiyong's request, I led Kitten back to the party. It was not something I wanted to do, but in the unfamiliar space of the grandiose home of Jiyong's 'friend', I had no choice but to follow the butler in the direction of the other guests. Anger toward Jiyong ran rife through my thoughts and I needed time to process everything I was feeling. Why was Jiyong at the mansion and why would he deliberately ambush me? It didn't make sense, except when I considered the way Jiyong and Jay had been conspiring behind my back. I was tempted to count the incident as a betrayal, but the word was perhaps too strong, given all Jiyong had done for me in the past.

Kitten, also, had disappointed me. I had warned her about being obedient, warned her about what it might mean if she were found lacking in front Jiyong and the others, and still, she had humiliated me. Even now, her hand continued to search out mine, seeking comfort in the most pedestrian fashion. She refused to stop weeping since she'd seen the blonde woman.

Internally, I flinched but I wasn't sure why. The blonde had surely deserved everything that had happened to her. I was certain now she had played a role in what happened to Kitten. She deserved no less than the fate she wished to impose.

The woman had been beaten severely. Her body was littered with whip marks and bites, her throat was bruised and her eyes were bloodshot from the oxygen she had obviously been deprived. Jiyong mentioned she had been raped, roughly, and repeatedly. Tortured. Yet, despite feeling that she had had it coming, I took issue with violent rape. I could not get the image of blood and semen running down her thighs out of my mind fast enough to suit me. Finally, that my mentor had participated was difficult to accept.

I'd meant to give Kitten a gift, one that meant everything to me: vengeance. I would have done anything to go back in time and see to Narweh's end in the slowest, most painfully degrading way possible, but the time had passed. Narweh was dead and I had to live with the knowledge that even in the end, Narweh had never begged for his life or offered penance for what he'd done to me. It was a slap in the face that Kitten would not only forgo such an opportunity to get back at her tormentor, but also look on me as some sort of monster for suggesting it. It wasn't as though I expected her to watch!

But here, now, especially so close to my objective, I could not allow myself to show weakness, especially where Kitten was involved. This time was very critical and Jiyong would be watching my every move, as expected. They had been partners for twelve years, working toward the singular goal of ruining Vladek Rostrovich's life in every conceivable way. It was a goal that had long ago cost both of them their proverbial soul's. Men had died. Women had died. And I had killed. All to ensure their revenge would be carried out one day. Finally, their sights were set on their target and I seemed to be suffering from some absurd crisis of conscience. One silly girl was trying to make me question everything me and Jiyong had worked so hard to achieve. It was absolutely asinine when I put it in perspective. Kitten might not be one for vengeance, but I most certainly was.

I kept an eye on the butler's back as they took the seemingly endless number of twists and turns that would lead them to the others. I had no idea what the evening would entail, but my hackles were already up and I would have no pity for the next person who decided to trifle with me, even the sniveling girl next to me. I could scarcely repress a snort of derision as I recalled the way Kitten had spat the word murderer in my direction. Yes, I was a murderer. I reminded myself I could no longer afford to be soft with her. No more leniency or favors. She would have to learn, right now, that mercy ended with me.

The murmur of loud voices finally reached my ears and I was relieved to know I wouldn't have to listen to Kitten's sobs echo around me much longer. At last, we reached the other guests and the butler asked me to wait while I let the master of the house know we were joining the festivities.