Chapter Forty -

Jennie

Day 1

I had just finished buttoning my shirt when it happened. There was a loud bang and something hit me in the face. I reached up to touch my cheek. My breath left me in the span of a heartbeat. Lisa was on top of me, shouting, but I couldn't hear what she was saying. I couldn't seem to hear anything.

My head hurt. I'd smacked it on the ground when Lisa tackled me. Debris was flying everywhere.

"Jennie!" Lisa yelled and shook me. It penetrated the silence in my head.

BOOM! Another torrent of debris flew toward us. Lisa lay on top of me, shielding my face with her arms as she tucked her head near my shoulder.

Someone was fucking shooting at us. My eyes cut to the door and I could see large gaping holes where wood used to be.

We rolled behind the bed. My entire body was shaking and I had no idea what was going on. Lisa was shoving me and I cried out in pain.

"Get in the tub!" She shouted. She shoved me again.

I managed to get on my hands and knees. I crawled the few feet to the bathroom and scrambled into the tub. I realized Lisa wasn't with me.

"Lisa!" I screamed. The bathroom door slammed shut. I was too scared to move.

"She's going to die out there, you stupid bitch! Do something!" Ruthless Me, screamed.

I couldn't move. I couldn't, fucking, move. My entire world was moving in slow motion and there was nothing I could do to speed it back up. I felt something wet on my face. My hand came away bloody when I touched it.

"Lisa!" I screamed again.

A loud bang rattled the bathroom door and I threw myself back in the tub. I couldn't stop screaming or crying.

"You fucking coward, Jennie! I'll never forgive you," Ruthless said.

I slapped my hands over my ears, willing the voice to go away. I could still hear her screaming, begging me to do something. I could hear yelling just outside the door; a struggle. The door shook repeatedly as something was slammed against it.

"Help her!"

"What do you want me to do?!" I screamed out loud.

"Stay down!" I heard Lisa yell.

"Help her!"

Hearing Lisa's voice, knowing she was fighting to stay alive only a few feet away seemed to clear some of my panic.

"The gun, Jennie. The gun. Where is it?" Ruthless said.

I took several deep breaths, frantic breaths, as I tried to remember. Where was the gun? Where was the gun? In the bag!

"Good, Jennie. Where's the bag?"

I sobbed loudly, "I don't know."

A string of loud and angry shouting came through the door. I didn't understand it, but I knew it was Arabic. They'd come for us. Jiyong was here to kill us.

"The bag!" Ruthless screamed.

Images. They flashed through my mind's eye in rapid succession: I brought the bag in. I set it down on the table. Lisa picked it up and took it into the bathroom. She needed a butterfly stitch for her head. It was in there when I showered.

I looked around the bathroom, but I didn't see it.

It was there when I went to bed. Lisa and I had sex and after, she wanted clean underwear. Next to the bed on Lisa's side.