Epilogue 13

We moved into our new flat in April. Though I thought otherwise, Jennie insisted it was the perfect birthday gift to move into our new home on her birthday.

She'd insisted her birthday was just the leverage she would need to coerce her friends into helping her move her things. She didn't want movers, she said. It made her feel awkward enough that I had purchased our home and put it in her name.

I insisted it was better than putting it in the name of someone who didn't legally exist. She agreed but couldn't abide by making strangers move her.

For my part, I was something akin to excited. It seems wrong for a grown woman to be "excited"; it sounds too much like an emotion for a school girl. I'd wanted to buy the house outright, but I thought that might be suspicious if the FBI decided to poke around.

Instead, I had Jennie remove the amount of the down payment from her fund and put it in a safe deposit box. I then used that sum of cash to pay the bank.

Eventually, I was going to have to enlist the help of some former acquaintances to keep up appearances where Jennie's new lifestyle was concerned. The FBI couldn't necessarily touch us in Spain, but it was best not to provoke attention by living outside the means they knew Jennie was capable of. For better or worse, I didn't tell Jennie about my plans involving illicit activity. I was becoming a very well-behaved girlfriend, but I was still me.

We'd purchased an enormous property that had been vacant for some time. Jennie and I had a good laugh over the number of windows. There was hardly a dark corner to be found, and light flooded every nook and cranny. I thought it very apropos.

We'd spent enough time in the dark. However, because there were some things I liked to do with Jennie that should never see the light of day, I made sure the bedrooms had drapes.

The home had been furnished to best display its vaulted ceilings, marble countertops, bowl sinks, sunken living rooms, and wood and stone accoutrements. I'd made an offer to purchase it as it was. It was the perfect excuse to talk Jennie into donating her furniture to Kreisha and Rubio (let him deal with all the bed pillows).

She's raised her eyebrows at me, but ultimately didn't resist. I'd already been looking at houses for some time. By the time Jennie and I started taking tours, I'd narrowed the list significantly. It had been a test of my cunning to push Jennie toward "choosing" the flat I wanted on her own. I was ultimately successful.

All in all, the home suggested a certain level of wealth, but not enough to raise eyebrows. Our neighbors were professionals, not celebrities. It was the sort of place we could grow into and live in for quite some time. I planned on converting one of the larger rooms upstairs into a library/office for Jennie. I'd already claimed the downstairs for a project of my later choosing.

"Please tell me this is the last box." Kreisha lay sprawled on the hardwood floor.

"I don't have that much stuff, Kreisha. Stop whining." Jennie put down the box she was carrying and wiped sweat from her forehead with the back of her hand. I caught her looking around with a wondrous expression and my chest expanded. Making her happy was more reward than I'd ever expected. I was once again struck by a sense of purpose. One I could take pride in.

I stepped over Kreisha and spoke to Jennie. "There's Coke in the fridge. I picked some up, along with a case of water. I'll go to the grocery in a little while for more supplies. I owe you a birthday dinner at the very least." I kissed Jennie on the forehead on my way out the door. The moving van was empty and Rubio was going to follow me to drop it off and bring me back.

He was waiting for me outside. He was actually dressed for function instead of fashion. It was amusing to see him in loose jeans, sneakers, and a t-shirt. He looked even younger than he already was.