34. Why settle

"Then why the hell do I have a mail that says you are resigning?"

"That's because I am. And you can see the reason just below the resignation statement."

"What makes you think I will believe," he looked down at his laptop and read out loud "planning on continuing education, as the reason for your resignation."

Is he mad?

"What do you want me to do for you to believe me?"

"Well for starters you can tell me why you have not spoken to me first before mailing me this atrocity and second why would Nick not casually bring it up in our conversation when he was crashing on my couch yesterday?"

Although Nick found a new apartment to live in, some changes were needed and that was to be completed by the end of this week. Nlogics decided to partner with a small firm whose CEO Nick was friends with and the two of them were currently scouting for an office. Ryan helped bring in some investors and his legal team was preparing a full profile to sue the cr*p out of the guy that cheated Nick. Everything seemed to be going fine. Every night Nick and I had an hour long, ok maybe more than that, talk about everything and I was still trying to help him in every way I could.

"You know what? I will come back in sometime when you have calmed down a little and are not raising your voice with every syllable you utter."

"No, I need you to tell me now. I thought we were friends and I feel betrayed. You decided to jump companies the minute you got close to Nick and didn't feel the need to at least inform me about it?"

"You were not here, or you were busy, and this was not something I could do over the phone..."

"But you could do it over an email? And you tell me I was busy? I was busy trying to help your boyfriend. It is not a good enough excuse Riya..."

"And secondly, Nick doesn't know about this. So, there is no way he could have simply brought it up in a conversation." I am not usually someone to interrupt but Ryan was irritating me with his thick headedness.

"Wait so you are really going to study?"

"Do you want a copy of my admit letter from LSE?"

"You got into LSE? Which program? Dad will be so proud. Hell, I am so proud of you." He now looked like a kid high on sugar.

"MSc in Global Media and Communications. Term starts in September."

He was smiling from ear to ear when suddenly the smile disappeared and was replaced by a worried expression.

"Nick does not know yet. When do you plan on telling him?"

*******

Say it.

Say it now.

What are you waiting for? Divine intervention?

Riya dumbass, say it. Nowwwwwwwww.

These thoughts have been running on loop in my brain for the past two weeks. Every time I was in the presence of Nick the incessant nagging in my brain never stopped. It was becoming difficult to concentrate on what he was saying since my brain wouldn't shut up.

"And then I had to talk to my father about it. I think he is upset with me for not taking his help. What do you think I should have done?" he looked at me expectantly and I babbled out

"I am leaving the country."

Well done. Amazing. Outstanding. Worst timing of the year goes to Riya- the witless moron.