35. What if

"Passport, education documents, tickets, phone, purse, money, cards" Mini and my mother were fussing over my luggage and my father was giving me 'Surviving in London 101 for Dummies' lecture. Sasha and Ash just left after Sasha cried a lot and Ash barely spoke three words. Ryan was here all morning and Mini kicked him out when his 'hiding Riya's tickets' was not funny anymore. He walked out sulking. He will be coming to London in two months, so I will see him very soon.

I have not seen Nick since our dinner last night. The two of us had dinner with my family and it was the most awkward two hours of my life. Dad was constantly asking Nick questions and Mom was fawning over him. I wanted to dig a grave and bury myself in it when dad asked Nick if they could talk in private. After their thirty minutes 'chat' Nick left home and messaged me good night once he reached his apartment. We have not discussed about it today because I had not seen him all morning and now it was almost time for me to leave. True that I'd asked everyone to stay back and no one was allowed to come to the airport with me because the female population in my life was crying constantly and the male population was too intent on giving me survival tips, but he did not even say me a goodbye.

It started with Nick, three weeks ago, fretting over the size of my luggage. He was worried about me carrying and handling it. From there he when on and on about how I would live in Cape Town and the availability of food I like. He had asked one of his friends to pick me up once I reached London and ordered him to help me buy anything and everything I needed. I have not even stepped in the country and I have my own overqualified chauffeur.

My father was another story altogether. In the three months I spent at home we sat down one day, and I told him how I felt after he left mom and I for work. He did not exactly vocalize his thoughts but from the following day his behavior changed. Mom cried a lot for a week and she blamed herself for turning me into the cynical monster I have become. I agreed with the demon part, but I could not let her take the credit. I threatened to not set foot in the house again if she continued her crying and that made her stop.

Even with my father going off about what to do when a mugging situation arises, I could hear Mini and my mother sniffing into their tissues. It was not like I was not going to miss them, or I did not have a heart, it was just difficult for me to cry when someone was watching and them crying did not help my tear ducts.

"Even if I don't say this often, I love you and will miss you when you leave. Take good care of my daughter, she tends to downplay her pain sometimes." My father said and walked me towards the car that was waiting for me outside.

I was holding my carry-on bag and the check-in luggage was sitting in the truck of the car.

My mother started weeping hysterically "Eat on time, call me whenever you can and visit a doctor the minute you sneeze. Father and I will visit you as soon as we can."

My father stood behind my mother and with his arm around her.

"Take care and stay safe. Mind your business, do not get into unnecessary issues with anyone. Stay at home when you are not in University. Don't study too much. Sleep on time and eat well."

"Mom, that's the six billionth time you are talking about eating on time. I will. Please don't cry. I will be fine. I will be back in no time."

Reluctantly she let go of me and was sobbing in my father's embrace. It broke my heart watching her weep, but I needed to leave. There were a lot of things I needed to accomplish.

At least that was what I have been chanting in my head for few days now.

Mini pulled me into a tight hug and just walked back into the house wiping her eyes.