Part 11 - An Interesting Rehearsal

*Billie's POV*

After ten minutes, it was five thirty and Rachael arrived. The doorbell went and I went to open the door. I smiled as I opened the door, seeing Rachael in a black tank top, black leggings and a long grey cardigan that went to mid-calf. She was pretty, with reddish brown hair and bright green eyes, and still had her defining freckles. She smiled back, and I hugged her. She hugged back. I had a feeling we were going to get close, not like Brittany.

Once she came inside George led us into the small studio. Matty and I hung behind, with his arm around me. I smiled at how safe I felt with him.

"I really, really like you, Matty," I said. He smiled and said "I really, really like you too Billie." Rachael made gagging noises quietly in front of us. I laughed and pushed her shoulder. She just laughed and followed Adam, Ross, George and Ty into the studio. We all plopped down onto the couches and the floor in Adam's case to talk about what songs Rachael knew and didn't know. And then we chat to her for a second. Adam kept staring at her. And staring. And staring. His eyes never left her. She was blushing a little. She had noticed he was looking at her and met his eyes a couple of times. His stare was hard, cold and steely. But sometimes, when she did or said certain things, his stare softened and his eyes smiled, but the smile didn't reach the rest of his face. I found out a bit about her in the little chat, but not a lot. I decided I'd invite her over for dinner or go for coffee some day with her to get to know her.

The boys got behind their instruments and started tuning. I showed Rachael where we stood. Tyler sat in her usual spot on the couch ready to watch us.

We started to practise some songs, like usual. Rachael knew all of the songs by name, but didn't know all the lyrics. She seemed to understand the guitar a lot easier. She knew exactly what was coming next, like she'd heard it all her life. She knew when the guitar came in after a quiet bit. She knew when to stop singing just in time, to let the guitar through. I didn't know if she was just a big fan and knew their music, or she just had a knack with guitars. Either way, it was great for her. The boys loved her. Adam kept glancing over at her every twenty seconds, like she'd disappear at any given moment. He still hadn't smiled at her or even talked to her, just a brief 'hello' when she walked in, without looking up.

After we practised a few songs Rachael was struggling with, we sat down on the couch and the ground to chat more. Ross said he wanted pizza again. I laughed and said "I'll go ring up. This seems to be a regular occurrence," he cocked his head to the side and said "What is?" I laughed. "Me ringing up to get pizza after rehearsals. It's my thing." I laughed, getting up and walking out of the studio.

I ordered our usual order. It arrived quicker than usual, which kept the boys happy. (Especially Ross)

I started chatting to Rachael and just talking in general to everyone.

*Adam's POV*

I couldn't help but stare at her. At Rachael. I knew she wouldn't be my Rachael, but I saw her face in everything. I saw Rachael, the love of my entire life, in my sleep, in the sky, in my songs, at the gigs, everywhere. I knew it wasn't real, but she seemed to be everywhere.
She'd left ages ago, but I wasn't over it. I never really was. I couldn't get over it. She was my life. She still is, I guess, a little bit. We'd known each other since we were little, like six or seven. We'd dated since high school, and I'd always had a major crush on her since we were kids. So we got together, and stayed together. She had blonde hair, with blue eyes, and a few freckles. She was the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen, and still is, to this day.

I remember exactly what had happened, when she left.

I'd planned to propose to her. I'd gotten the ring, and planned everything. I'd told the boys and they were excited for me. They understood how much I loved her, because they were there when she was the only thing I talked about.

Anyway, it was the night of the proposal. Rachael and I lived together.

I'd booked reservations at a really nice Italian restaurant in the city. I told her we were going out, and she smiled and agreed. Her smile...

So we drove to the restaurant and dinner was going great, and it had come to the time I'd been excited about and dreading at the same time. I was ecstatic to marry her, but dreading her response - what if she said no? I knew she'd never do it, but it was racing through my mind.
"So..uh..Rachael. I just want to say that I love you, no matter what you say, and I just...love you. A lot. Maybe too much, but I don't care." I smiled nervously.
"No matter what I say to what?" She asked, looking curious.
I nodded, more to myself than to her. It was time.
I stood up, out of my chair, and knelt down in front of her. Realisation crossed her features and at first she looked thrilled, but then her face went dark. I frowned slightly but carried on, she was probably just as nervous as I was.
"Rachael Sara Brixton, will you marry me?" I asked, grinning up at her. But her facial expression was the opposite to mine. She was crying, and not of happiness. She had tears in her eyes, and her hands rested on her thighs, shaking. "I can't do this. I'm sorry." she sobbed, and she ran out of the restaurant. The restaurant had started cheering, but soon stopped as she ran for the next taxi.
I was still kneeling on the floor, gobsmacked. She didn't say yes. She doesn't love me.
I picked myself off the floor, threw the money down on the table to pay for dinner and sprinted out of the restaurant.
"Rachael!" I yelled, as her taxi sped away. I ran after the cab, but it was too fast. I ran to the side of the busy road and sank to my knees in the sidewalk. "Rachael," I sobbed. I tried to call her. She didn't pick up. I left a voice mail every time.

Rachael? Please pick up.

Rachael? I love you. Please pick up, please. I love you.

Rach? Rachael? I don't care, I told you, I still love you no matter what you say, just don't leave me. I love you.

Rachael. I love you. Please call me. I love you.

The last voice mail was the most heartbreaking.

Rachael? I've gotten home, and you're not here. You won't pick up. Your stuff's gone. Please, Rach. Don't leave. I love you so much. I love you. I don't care if you don't marry me, just don't leave. I love you. Please call me. I love you so much.

Once I'd gotten home, I saw, on the kitchen bench, a letter. From her. From Rachael. It had tears smearing the ink a little in places.

Adam,
I'm so sorry. I love you, but I can't do this. I can't do any of this anymore. I'm so sorry. I'll always love you, you know that. I can't tell you how sorry I am. I just can't marry you, or see you anymore. It's too much. I'm leaving. I know you would've called me a million times, I turned my phone off. I'm leaving for a while. I don't know when I'll be back. I don't know if I'll come back. But move on, Adam, I don't know if I'll be able to, but move on. I'm sorry I can't be what you need. I'm so sorry. I love you. xx - Rachael.

I cried all night alone in my apartment, where she should've been.
She wasn't.

But now, I just had a thing about Rachaels. All Rachaels.
I know I rebounded hard after her, but I don't care. She's behind me now, over, finished.
So I tried to be pleasant with this new Rachael. She looked nothing like my Rachael anyway. This Rachael had brown hair and green eyes, not blonde hair and blue eyes. And my Rachael wore glasses. All the time. This Rachael looked nothing like my Rachael, but some of the things she said caught me off guard. She sounded like Rachael. But she sounded like every other girl, said the rational voice in my head.

"I just realised we don't even know your last name, what is it?" Matty asked.
Rachael took a deep breath.

"My name is Rachael Brixton."

DUN DUN DUN! I don't know if any of my readers (all three of you) saw that coming. So Adam's-Rachael is Backup-Singer-Rachael. Same person. WHOA, IKR?! :) xx Stay Tuned.