Part 19 - Numbness

*Billie's POV*

Fast forward a few hours and we were at the venue of the gig. We had sound checked and now we were hanging out backstage, the calm before the storm. We weren't talking, just walking around. Rachael wasn't here.

"She's probably running late. Just give her five more minutes." I pleaded. I didn't want to go out and be alone.

Adam looked worried. "Rachael would never be late to something like this." He mumbled. Everyone was antsy. The fans were screaming for the boys. It was loud.

"I think we're going to have to go on without her." George said after tin minutes slowly ticking by, and still no sign of Rachael.

"Good luck." Matty said. He left a short kiss on my lips. I was wearing a black leather mini skirt and a grey crop top tucked into the skirt, as well as black heels. My hair was out in waves. "Ready?" George asked. We all nodded and walked onto stage. Screams erupted as the fans saw the boys, I got a few extra cheers too.

Matty was smiling out at the crowd, a cigarette between his teeth.

"You may have noticed we have a new member." He said, lighting his smoke.

"Who's the girl, who's the girl," the audience chanted, liked usual. The boys hadn't put photos of their back-up singers yet, so no one knew Rachael or I.

"I'm Billie, it's nice to meet you all." I said into the mic. The fans cheered.

We started the set like usual, and Matty had his usual charm with the audience. A few girls in the front row when he knelt on the stage and held their hands. I smiled and carried on singing.

When it got to Fallingforyou, Matty turned his back to the audience to face me, looked me in the eye and sang "I think I'm falling, I'm falling for you." I blushed furiously and tried to cool. The crowd 'awwwed'.

When it got to before we started So Far (It's Alright), Adam glanced at his phone and answered it, in the middle of a gig. We all looked at him, jaws dropped.

"Rachael," he breathed into his microphone."It's Rachael!" He yelled, sprinting out of the venue.

"Uh-um- Guys I'm -uh- I'm sorry - Adam has a family emergency. But I think we'll be able to carry on, but only if you all promise to sing along." Matty improvised.

After the whole set, we ran off stage, ears ringing from the audience's screams.

"That was a shit gig." Ross sighed. We all nodded.

"I'll call Adam." Matty said.

Matty walked off for five minutes, saying every time he called he went to voicemail.

We went down to do the usual meet and greet with fans. Matty decided since it was a pretty crappy gig, to hug every person who came in. It was a nice touch. He apologised to every fan for the gig being shitty. They all said it was alright, they still had a fun time. Some cried and sobbed as he hugged them. The other band members signed things, hugged people, chatted.

Trying to cover up whatever was happening with Adam and Rachael.

*Adam's POV*

It was Rachael.

She'd been in a car accident.

I dropped my guitar in the middle of the gig, and rushed out of the venue.

"It's Rachael!" I yelled, I hoped the boys would understand. It was Rachael.

Rachael's number had flashed up on my phone's screen. I had been worried sick all night, so I didn't hesitate to answer. A different woman's voice came through the speaker. "Hello?" She asked.