Part 20 - Ignorance Is Bliss

*Adam's POV*

It's been a whole week since Rachael had her car accident.

She still hadn't woken up.

She still lays in her hospital bed, unconscious, unaware, not realising how much I've been pouring my heart out to her while she lays there, teetering on the line of living and dying.

I've cried every night.

I don't care if it's not fucking "manly" - she could die. She could die. Poof. Gone. She's only just come back into my life, and I can't afford to lose her again. Never again.

I've not seen anyone from the band for this last week. I'm grateful that they've give me space, but sometimes I just want company. Because when I'm alone, at night, I start thinking about Rachael. She lays there, in a clinical-looking bed with cuts and bruises on her face. She lays there, asleep, and, like I said, flirting with death.

-

It's been another week and she still hasn't woken up. I don't know how long I can - she can - take this.

But, two weeks and four days after her car accident, after laying there unconscious and silent, she woke up.

I'll tell you exactly what happened:

It was a regular day, I was sitting in the plastic chair next to Rachael's bed.
I was holding her hand, silently praying for her to wake up. It was dark, and visiting hours were nearly over.
"I'm so sorry Rach. I'm so sorry. I know you're sorry. I'm sorry I made you feel bad. I'm sorry. I love you." I whispered.

*Rachael's POV*

Inhale.
Exhale.
Inhale.
Exhale.
I focused on my breathing. I could feel myself coming out of my sleep.
My eyes stayed shut, I could sense the blindingly bright hospital light above me. I could hear a muffled mumbling beforehand, but now the noise had come into sharp clarity and focus.

"I'm so sorry Rach. I'm so sorry. I know you're sorry. I'm sorry I made you feel bad. I'm sorry. I love you." I heard.

Adam.

It was my only coherent thought.

Adam.

He was here, waiting for me, willing me to wake up.

He said he loved me.

My eyes opened, slowly and a little painfully. I could feel my cheek was swollen.

Adam was looking down, at his hand clasping mine. He didn't know I was awake yet.
"Adam," I croaked.
He looked up at me, eyes wide and shining with tears.
"Rachael," he whispered, moving closer to me. I smiled and my lips hurt. I felt my lower lip burst and blood rose to the surface. I could tell I looked a mess. I felt a mess.
"Rach," he sighed. "Do you remember what happened?" Adam asked, looking me in the eye.
"I remember texting you, and then looking up and seeing the other car's headlights, and then moving out of the way, and then pain." I said. The memory was coming back, with sharp focus and detail. I could hear the car's horn blasting in my ears, then the squealing of my tyres on the road, then the crunch of metal colliding with metal. Then I remember pain blossoming from my middle, and the numbness of my arm.
Then black.
"How long ago did I...crash?" I asked.
"Two weeks and four days." Adam replied.
Adam's eyes shone with concern and - love, but I knew I could never say I loved him back.
I loved him too much.
I knew that no matter how much we tried to make it work, no matter how much we loved each other, if it hadn't worked the first time it wouldn't work the second.
It was heart-breaking and gut-wrenching, but it'd never work.
I knew that he loved me back, somewhere, deep down. I loved him too. But I knew it couldn't happen.
So I pretended I didn't hear him. I pretended I never heard him say "I love you."
I ignored it.
It's better this way.
He thought I was unconscious when he said it anyway, so why would it make a difference?
"How are you feeling?" He asked.
"Like complete and utter shit." I responded with a hard-managed and possibly bloody smile due to my recently re-split lip.
"You're still beautiful to me." He said quietly, tracing the side of my face with his fingers. I blushed.
"I'll go and get the doctors, I want you better as soon as possible." He said, kissing my forehead then walking out of the little room to alert the doctors I was awake.

Ten minutes later, I was told of all my injuries. Three broken ribs. A broken arm. "Crap," I breathed. "How long will I take to heal completely?" I asked.
"I'd say a month or two, possibly less. But you'll need to be cared for by someone." The doctor said, looking at Adam.
"Of course, I'll be by her side making sure she's alright." Adam said.
"Okay, well then, we'll keep you here for another three or four days, then you'll hopefully be well enough to go. Take care, Miss Brixton, you're lucky to have him." The doctor said, looking at Adam and smiling wisely.

So yeah. Rachel heard Adam say he loves her (which he hadn't said in four years) but she's choosing to ignore it because she thinks it's going to be better for them both in the long run.
I'm sorry there hasn't been a lot of Matty/Billie stuff going on. I'm just caught up in Rachael and Adam's situation. Once it's resolved (or not), it'll go back to Billie and Matty (they're still not boyfriend/girlfriend yet) and possibly a bit about anyone else, drop a comment letting me know who you'd like.
And it's my book and I love the Adam-Rachael sitch, so there. Haha. ;)
Oh and can we just talk about the doctor, he's wise and umm... Might be a bit of a clue to what happens next in the Rachael-Adam saga? ;)

:) Okay. Love you guys. xo -Anna.