Part 15 - Toxic

*Rachael's POV*

It's been two days since I explained what happened with Adam. I missed him like crazy. I decided to ask him out for coffee or something, I just needed to talk to him. I wanted things to go back to normal, to get married and love each other like we used to.

But I know that I've fucked that up.

I can't believe that he actually came over that day.

After what I'd done to him.

If it was me, I'd never do it.

I couldn't.

I decided to call him.

"Hello?" He called through the phone.

"Hi," I said. "It's me," I said quietly.

"Hey," he said.

Silence.

"I was just calling to ask if you wanted to get coffee or something?" I asked.

"Um...I don't know. Where?" He asked.

"There's this really nice place I know in the city," I said.

"Okay. When?" He asked.

"Now?" I asked. "I really want to see you," I blushed. I actually just said that, I thought.

"Alright. Give me the address and I'll meet you there in twenty." He said. I gave him the address and I could hear a pen scratching on paper as he wrote it down. I smiled. I would be able to see him again.

"Okay I'll see you there," he said.

"Okay. Love you," I said. My eyes went wide. Shit. I didn't mean to say that.

"Lov- see you." He said.

He nearly said it back.

But I can't blame him for not.

Look what I did to him.

I looked down at what I was wearing: a loose lavender spaghetti-strap chiffon top and high waisted black shorts. I ruffled my hair at the roots in the mirror and slicked on a little bit of lipgloss.

"You can do this." I said to myself in the mirror.

*Adam's POV*

I nearly said I loved her back.

I wanted to, deep down.

I wanted to forget - more than anything. I wanted to forget everything she did to hurt me, and take her in my arms and never let go.

But I knew I couldn't.

I looked myself over in the mirror: Black jeans, black shirt. Simple.

"You can do this." I encouraged myself in front of the mirror.

I hopped in my car and arrived at the coffee shop, seeing Rachael hugging herself from the cold standing just outside the coffee shop.

I parked the car and walked towards her. She smiled. I smiled weakly back. "Hi," I said.

"Hi," she replied.

"Come on, let's go inside. Too cold out here." I said, walking behind her as we entered the coffee shop.

"So...how've you been?" She asked once we were sitting down in a little corner of the coffee shop, coffees in hand.

"I'm alright. You?" I asked. She bit her lip.

"I'm okay." She replied. We fell into awkward silence again.

"Adam?" She asked.

"Yeah?" I replied.