Chapter 17: With You and Me All Alone, No One Has To Know

*Haley's P.O.V.*

Come on Haley, you can do this, I encouraged myself inwardly. There's nothing to be scared of, you and Niall are in love. As much as I repeated that thought through my head, a controversial voice was always nagging about how you don't lie to the one you love or break promises. Stuff like this happens all the time, I reminded myself. Louis went off with Julia and I entered the kitchen, trying to be nonchalant. I didn't want people to know that I was shaking on the inside. I just didn't want to hurt Niall or worry him or disappoint him... I didn't want him to endure any unpleasant emotions. I walked up behind him, the tile floor feeling unusually cold against my bare feet. I placed my hands on his shoulders and placed my lips near his ear. "Can you come lie with me?" I requested in a whisper, glad my voice wasn't shaking. Lie with me. Lie. I tried to shake the word out of my head, but Niall's bright and oblivious smile just made it even crueler.

"Of course," he agreed, getting up and following me. I smiled back as he laced his fingers through mine, but my stomach was churning. The ascent up the stairs was one of the longest climbs of my life. Not to mention that I was hyperaware of Louis' presence. It was an accident! I scolded myself. But with all that was already happening I guess that little problem just magnified itself. I closed the door once we finally reached our room and I began to feel a bit sick as we lay down on the bed, knowing I had to tell him then because it's better now than later. We lay there for a moment, his arm around me. I wasn't even responding or cuddling up to him like usual. I couldn't just lie there anymore. I sat up abruptly and hugged my knees to my chest, rocking back and forth slightly. Niall sat up beside me, questioning me with his concerned blue eyes. "Still not feeling any better?" he guessed innocently. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Better now than later.

"Niall, I have to tell you something," I choked out. His intent gaze was making me antsy and I had to put in a decent amount of effort to keep myself from squirming. He took one of my hands, signaling that he was listening. I wracked my mind for some way to start my confession. "Niall, love, you know how after Chase dumped me he kept harassing me?" I paused for his nod. "And you know how I tried to solve the problem?" I added, my voice becoming even more unsteady as the tears began trying to push themselves through. I resisted and went on as he nodded, a bit slower this time. I gulped as his eyebrows knitted together, trying to swallow back the lump in the back of my throat. "Remember that time I promised I would never do that again?" My voice was completely giving me away at this point and my eyes were squeezed shut. I opened them to see his widen in realization. I closed them again, not wanting the tears to fall.

"Haley," he whispered, wrapping me in his warm embrace. I clung to him and sobbed softly into his chest. "But, why?" he asked. I retrieved my phone and pulled up Twitter, showing him all of the horrible things people were saying. He sighed and tossed the phone to the end of the bed. "Halez, I know hate is hard to take at first. But all those things they're saying are just a bunch of stupid lies," he cooed, holding me to him tightly. My small, pathetic sobs gradually settled into unpleasant hiccups and I looked up at him, smiling through the tears in my eyes.

"I'm sorry," I muttered. He didn't say anything; he just brought my hand to his lips, his gentle kiss lightly tickling my knuckles. I giggled a bit and the corners of his mouth rose.

"You're beautiful, you know that?" he said, making me blush and look down as he wiped the tears from my heated cheeks.

"Well you always tell me that, but I'm not so sure I believe it," I murmured back in response. He tackled me to the bed, kissing my neck and my lips and my nose and my cheek, catching me off guard as I erupted into a fit of laughter.