Chapter 20: The Roof Caved In And The Truth Came Out

*Haley's P.O.V.*

"We can't keep doing this," I stated simply, pacing Louis' bedroom floor in a mentally fixed path once again. The guilt had settled in as soon as Veronica left, and I just sprinted upstairs into my room unexpectedly before I began bawling uncontrollably. Niall had comforted me, which just made it even worse. What pained me the most was when he asked what was wrong and I had to lie and say it was the hate. I mean the hate was still getting to me, but now I had another problem piled up on top of that. After my little sobbing session with Niall, I went to go have a talk with Lou. We seriously needed to get our shit straight. Louis sighed. I knew he didn't like it when I paced, but I couldn't help it.

"I know that, Halez," he replied calmly. I whipped around to face him studying his worn blue eyes which were obviously studying me the way they always do. He was sitting on the bed alone and patted the open space next to him. "Come sit with me," he requested. I brought my hands to my lips and shook my head, my feet moving again as my body stiffened. "Love, you're stressing me out." I sighed exasperatedly and stopped myself, but instead of joining him I just plopped myself down right there on the hard floor. I knew I would probably make irrational decisions if I was too close to him. I buried my face in my hands and stayed like that for a few moments before a pair of slender hands lifted my face up. I stared into his eyes once again, both of us searching each other for answers neither of us had.

"What now?" I asked for about the fifth time that night. The corners of his thin lips lifted up in a ghost of a bittersweet grin, twisting my heart.

"Well I guess we figure out what we've learned from our 'experiment', stop going behind their backs, and keep this all a secret," he answered. I knew that was ultimately how this whole thing would go, but it just seemed so much more complicated than that.

"Alright," I agreed with a small sigh. "So we learned that we have an unexplainable relationship..." I trailed off, not really sure what else to say.

"But we should stay friends because we have to stay loyal to the ones we love and this was a mistake," he concluded. I nodded, taking in his words and thinking about how I would have to live the rest of my life with this secret haunting me.

"I have to tell Niall," I decided finally. I watched Louis' ocean colored eyes widen at the thought, my mind racing as well as his probably was. He opened his mouth to protest, but I wouldn't let him. "I know, he'll be upset," I cut him off, explaining further, "but he at least deserves to know. Plus, you and I both know I can never hide things from him," I added. Lou's horror seemed to quell a bit, but he still didn't seem too thrilled with the plan.

"I think crushed would be a more accurate word than upset," he mumbled. I frowned at him, knowing Niall wouldn't take the news very well. He didn't have to make me feel worse. "Should we tell Julia too?" he asked. Now it was my turn for my eyes to widen in terror. I shook my head vigorously, not even wanting to consider what Julia would do if she found out. She can be vicious and, when provoked, quite terrifying.

"No, no, we don't want to get hurt," I responded, only half joking. He smirked a bit and agreed. I couldn't imagine he would want to lose Julia after he had just won her over, so I'm guessing that was part of the reason he lacked reluctance. His smile soon dropped, and my heart clenched as I realized the next thing I would be doing with my life was breaking the love of my life's heart. I mean I still didn't believe that anyone could really be so attracted to me that I was able to hurt them, but I'd imagine being cheated on by anyone would hurt, especially with your best friend. We shared one last moment of soul connecting eye contact, one last moment of heart twisting secrecy, before I rose and set off to get the dreaded task over with. I crossed the floor, but just as I was placing my shaking hand on the doorknob, I felt the warmth of Louis' hands on my waist. I shivered slightly at his sudden touch, caught a bit off guard. I turned around to face him, my pulse gaining momentum as my eyes met his gaze. As he studied me, his eyes travelling across the plains of my face, I felt the blood pumping in my wrists and skull, I heard it in my ears. I felt my stomach twisting wickedly as the proximity of his face to mine gradually increased.