Chapter 19: I Can Love You More Than This

*Sydney's P.O.V.*

I bounced in anticipation as I waited for the pilot to announce it was okay to get up, keeping myself from chipping my pale salmon nail polish. We had just landed in Tennessee, and my heart was hammering in its cage. It was deemed acceptable to exit the plane, but I took my time getting my carry on down from the storage compartment and letting others get off before me. They were probably in more of a rush than I was. I mean I was extremely excited to see my mom again, but the nerves were making it much easier to stretch out the time until I met my dad. I was preparing myself for the worst. I mean if he was jerky enough to leave my pregnant mother, who knows what he was like? Of course, he was taking the time to come back and meet me... I clutched onto the L pendant that hung around my neck as I slowly shuffled down the tunnel, the memory of Liam helping to ease my tension. I'm not sure what it is, there is just something about Liam that makes every obstacle I encounter seem conquerable. I guess that's what love does. I finally emerged into the open airport, looking around nervously. A huge smile spread across my face as my eyes found my mother, glad she was alone. I skipped over to her, throwing myself into her motherly arms. At the age of thirty-eight she looked very lively, yet quite mature for her age. She smelled the way she always had, like rosemary. Not an overpowering scent, but more of a soft, comforting one. I pulled away and smiled at her. She looked the same as when I left: and older version of me with brown eyes. Guess he's going to have green eyes, I reasoned, seeing as how I had to get my emerald eyes from somewhere. "I missed you so much," my mother whispered, the smile never leaving her face.

"I missed you too, ma," I replied truthfully, my worries forgotten for a moment. I was always very close to my mom, and being away from her was hard. I couldn't imagine how hard it must be on her, and I didn't want to know. All that mattered was the time we spent together.

"You ready to go meet Daniel?" she piped perkily. My stomach churned, but I masked it with a bright smile and curt nod, heading over to the baggage claim with my mother in tow.

"Yep, I just need my bags first," I replied, forcing strength into my voice. Daniel. It was weird knowing he had a name that was more than 'my father'. My bag rolled around and I plucked it off of the machine, showing minimal effort even though I'm not the strongest person out there. We strolled out of the airport side by side, small talk filling the air as we headed toward the car.

"So how's Liam?" she asked, genuine curiosity in her voice. I smiled to myself, loving how much she and Liam got along. She basically already considered him her son in law.

"He's good," I answered vaguely, the small grin not leaving my face. "He and the boys were just touring, so we're all taking a break and relaxing right now," I added, though I had already informed her of all of that. I wasn't exactly sure what else to say. I climbed into the passenger seat, easily readjusting to the American way of life as my mom slipped into the driver's seat.

"Why so vague?" she teased, driving out. I laughed through my nose, turning up the radio and gazing out the window, my heart singing at the familiar southern vista.

"I don't know," I responded, "there's not too much to say. We've been swimming. I was baking." I was about to continue, but she cut me off.

"Sweet pea, there's nothing to be worried about," she assured me, knowing about my methods.

"You know me so well," I smirked, beaming as Move Along by The All American Rejects came on. I immediately began belting out to the familiar lyrics, completely comfortable singing in front of my mom. I mean why wouldn't I be? She's my mom.

"You know hun, you've got a beautiful voice," she commented, making me blush a bit. Oh mother.

"Not as beautiful as Liam," I shot back almost automatically, a smug grin playing across my lips. I saw her smile at me knowingly out of the corner of my eye.