Chapter 34: Wish I Could Freeze This Moment in a Frame and Stay Like This

Okay so there's and event in the latter end of the chapter and here's what the chickies are wearing to that: polyvore.com/really_cute_event/set?id=63613473

*Michelle’s P.O.V.*

I kept checking my phone, obsessively even, waiting anxiously for a message from Niall. All I wanted was to know Haley was okay. Of course, they were probably busy being all supportive and lovey and stuff, but you can’t blame me for worrying. Having been in Haley’s position, I was naturally concerned. I know how shitty that cold, dark place feels, and I felt inclined to help her see the light. “Hey, you okay?” a concerned Bradford accent asked from beside me. I turned towards him, plastering a smile on my face as I’ve done so many times.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I just feel bad for Haley and her feminine problems,” I replied nonchalantly, playing the situation off lightly. Honestly, I was feeling a lot more than just “bad”, but I guess I’ve had enough practice acting happy for even Zayn to believe me.

“Well aren’t you sweet?” he teased, nuzzling his face into my hair. I giggled and cringed away in response to the tickling sensation, swatting at him playfully as a grin crossed his face. He pecked my cheek quickly and I made a face, but he knew by now that he still made my heart tingle. Still, despite the warm, fluttery feeling in my stomach, I found myself continuously glancing up towards the staircase, waiting to see if Haley and Niall would eventually descend. Everyone burst out in a chorus of laughter, though I was lost due to my wandering thoughts and worries. I whipped my head towards them all, questioning Zayn with my eyes.

“What’s so funny?” a voice asked from behind me. I turned back, my hair flying around me once again as my attention was turned over to Haley. I repressed a relieved sigh as she and Niall approached us, and I instead opened my arms out wide. She placed herself in my lap, giggling as I let out a small oof  in response to her sudden weight.

“I wish I knew,” I replied as I wrapped my arms around her waist and she simultaneously wrapped hers around my neck, since everyone else was too busy laughing to even hear her question, let alone answer it. Everyone calmed down after a moment, catching their breath and wiping their tears. Niall playfully frowned at the sight of Haley and I together, and I kissed her cheek jokingly for effect.

“Zayn, our girlfriends are leaving us,” he whined, hugging Zayn, who was standing, from behind.

“Damn,” Zayn responded simply, chortling lightly before pulling Niall into a hug. “Well, now we can be together!” he chirped cheerfully. Everyone laughed again, Haley, Niall and I included this time, and I hugged Haley closer to me. I felt strangely protective of her, with my new knowledge of how fragile she truly was. That, and the fact that she was sort of a shadow of me, her present being an almost mirror image of my dark past. And that was not a place I’d want anyone to be, especially not Haley.

“Okay, now that we’re all here, I have news,” Liam announced, grabbing everyone’s attention as we all turned towards him. “Management called, reminding us that the interview we rescheduled due to Dani’s funeral is still set for tomorrow.” We all looked around at each other, making it clear that the interview had clearly slipped all of our minds. The mention of Dani and her death also flooded over us like a wave of nostalgia, remorse, and longing, along with many other negative emotions. “We’re also performing to raise money for breast cancer research, so wear something pink,” he instructed, subtly trying to pull us out of the suddenly dark and suppressive mood.