Chapter 35: Summer Love

*Third Person Narration*

This was the day. The day tears fell and didn’t stop. The day hearts broke so violently they pushed the limits of repair. The day the smiles faded. The day distance ripped loved ones apart. The day relationships that had taken all summer to shape and form themselves came tumbling down to nothing. The day all of the love and effort ended up amounting to nothing. The day the summer ended.

Can't believe you’re packing your bags

Tryin’ so hard not to cry

Had the best time and now it’s the worst time

But we have to say goodbye

Louis and Julia stood in the airport hand in hand. Louis played with her fingers, clearly stalling as he refused to look into her eyes. Julia wasn’t doing anything to stop him, as she was too busy getting lost in her thoughts.Where do we go from here? How quickly will he move on? Will I ever move on? When will we see each other again? Similar thoughts and worries were mirrored in Louis’ thoughts, the seemingly strong couple internally crumbling like dry plaster. It was just terrible thinking that all the shit they had gone through together was being thrown away. All the fights, all the tears, all the kisses, all the silences, all of it wasted. That’s probably the thing that hurt the most; just as things were settling down, they had to say goodbye. Julia found herself questioning why she had even bothered to slave over one guy all summer.

Her question was answered when Louis lifted his head and stared at her with his bloodshot, crystalline blue eyes. Her heart pounded defiantly, making it impossible to turn away. She couldn’t think of anything other than him right in that moment. This is the last moment,she came to realize. It was a nice story, but now it’s coming to a close.

It’s over, he thought, clenching his jaw to control the trembling of his bottom lip. All the mixed emotions, drama, fights, kisses; all of it’s over now. He considered that maybe he should’ve been relieved that he wouldn’t have to worry about busting his ass to keep her anymore, as he had no chance anymore, but scrambling to hold onto something that’s already miles out of your reach is a lot more painful than Louis had expected. How could someone he was holding right in front of him be so far away? “So this is it, isn’t it?” he confirmed, breaking the silence. Julia nodded curtly, water rising to the surface of her azure eyes.

“Yeah, I guess it is,” she agreed. They stood there in silence for a few more moments. Of course, the airport was anything but silent, but the dark cloud that hung above them cast silence over them. “We- we’ll keep in touch and meet up sometime… right?” she choked, her throat closing up around her words. Louis nodded vigorously in a very enthusiastic response.

“Of course!” he replied, trying out a lighter tone. “I’ll visit you every time we’re in America.” He swooped down after a suspenseful pause, finally stealing a kiss from her lips as he had been longing to do, as he had longed to do so many times, before saying, “I promise,” making it final. Julia smiled through watery eyes, lips tingling and cheeks warming with a swirl of emotions. Neither one was so sure how easy that promise would be to keep, and the probability of moving on loomed over both of them, but in that moment they both silently decided to shove reality aside.