Chapter 29: Love Like A Tidal Wave

*Sydney's P.OV.*

I scraped the last soggy pieces of corn flakes out of my bowl and into the trash can, the high pitched screech of the spoon against the dish making me cringe a bit. I placed the bowl and utensil in the sink, turning around and taking in the familiar little room. The walls were still covered in the same delightfully tacky rose and white pinstriped wallpaper with flowers bordering the top, the same thin molding wrapping around the small square room. The light circular wood table still sat in the corner near the window, multiple fading stains still covering its surface. The four mismatched chairs still sat around it at even intervals. It had never been weird for me that all of the chairs were varying shades of brown and gold, or that they were carved differently. I grew up with them like that, and to me that was normal. I smiled at the screen door which had always been a hassle to open and close due to the faulty hinges and which had my increasing recorded heights marked next to it on the wall, remembering all the everyday memories of my childhood. I checked the clock, seeing that it was a little past noon and realized I had no idea where my parents were. My parents... plural... I digested that thought, the concept very foreign to me.

As if to answer my thoughts, I heard the front door open and close and I turned to see my mom and Dan filing into the house. I smiled at them and they smiled back. "Morning, sweetie!" my mom greeted with an unnecessary wink. I giggled a bit at the taunting tone in her voice that suggested I had just woken up, when in reality I had been awake since about seven, due to the fact that my body was still running on UK time.

"Good morning!" I replied, a bright and chipper tone in my voice. They set a few plastic grocery bags on the dated linoleum floor before placing the contents in the refrigerator and various cabinets. Well, mama was. Daniel looked a bit lost, obviously lost as to where anything was supposed to go. Even though I felt a little uncomfortable, I stepped forward and helped him, showing him which cabinets held what sorts of items. He smiled and thanked me, eventually getting the hang of things. I was glad there weren't many things to put away, because there wasn't exactly much space for three adults in the cramped kitchen corner.

"Thank y'all for helping," mama grinned, her eyes shining with a strange sort of light as they landed on Daniel. He gave her the same kind of look. It almost looked like the light in Liam's eyes when he looked at me, and to be honest, that scared me. I knew how easy was to fall back in love with a person, and I wasn't so sure I was okay with my mother loving Daniel again. He hurt he once already; who's to say he wouldn't hurt her again?

"No problem. I think I'm gonna go shower," I excused myself, starting towards the hallway. I felt a bit uncomfortable and even slightly unwelcome around them.

"Wait, honey," mama stopped me in my tracks, "can we talk to you?" My heart sank suddenly. Those are some of the worst words a person could ever hear. I turned around slowly, a million possible scenarios flying through my mind. They're engaged. They eloped. They're pregnant. I have twelve half brothers and sisters who I'm gonna have to live with.

"Of course," I replied perkily with a small smile, masking my unease as I sat down in my designated seat at the dining table. My mom sat next to me, Dan on the other side of her. She folded her slightly pudgy, wrinkled hands together, sighing lightly as they shared a glance with each other. My heart rate increased as my gazed flickered between the two of them, my suspicions growing.

"Well, honey blossom," she started lightly, looking me in the eyes. I kept a carefree, interested expression on my face as she continued, "Daniel and I have decided to get back together." No, I thought, desperately not wanting to believe what I had just heard. That's terrible. You're so stupid, mom! He's just going to hurt you again! Why would you trust him? Are you hiding something? How long has this been going on? How serious are you? Do I have to call him daddy? He's not my father. This is bad. This is very, very bad.