Chapter 27: Four Blue Eyes.

*Sydney's P.O.V.*

I'm not quite sure what reaction I was expecting to get. His was pretty predictable, actually.

"So you're dating a famous popstar?" he asked, sounding slightly amused. I nodded in confirmation, giving him a small, shy smile despite the annoyance that was tingling under my skin in response to his look of disbelief. "I knew you looked familiar," he added, sounding a bit more serious. "I must've seen you on a magazine in Wal-Mart or something." He chuckled like it was still settling in. "Never would I have ever pictured a baby of mine ending up on a magazine cover." Those words. A baby of mine. For whatever reason, they stung. Maybe it was because I didn't consider myself his baby, due to the fact that he had been absent from my life up until just now. It was weird to think he thought of me as his baby, even though I technically was. I just thought of myself as my mother's.

"It's weird for me, too," I replied, remembering I had to keep the conversation going. And that was true; it was weird for me. I mean I would just go to like a CVS or something and there I would be, holding hands with Liam. The Tumblr blogs were cute too, saying how cute we were together. Those never failed to make me smile. "It's kind of funny actually, because they like to comment on what I was wearing and analyze my every outfit, when really I just kind of pick random things out of the closet." Daniel chuckled a bit and mama joined in with her familiar, sing-songy little giggle. Even though he was laughing, I could tell he didn't really know how to respond to fashion talk.

"Well at least they like it," he responded. I forced out a laugh in response. Things were getting a bit more comfortable, but I was still just dipping my toes in the water. The mood was still a bit tense, but that couldn't have come as a surprise to any of us. After nineteen years of deficiency you can't just waltz in as if nothing was ever wrong. I always tried to not think too hard about him, but now that he was sitting right next to me it was kind of hard to block him out. And, as it turned out, there were a lot of emotions that came with meeting your father.

"So what do you do?" I asked before stuffing another applesauce-slathered pork chop in my mouth so that I wouldn't have to speak.

"I'm an engineer," he answered. I'll admit, I was a bit surprised. I mean, you had to be smart to be an engineer. Maybe it's just an MTV stereotype, but I thought teenage boys who knocked up chicks then left became nothing in life. I guess I was wrong to make assumptions. I think that was when I opened my mind. I tried my hardest to mask my shock, and responded to his statement by raising my eyebrows. I hoped it looked more like intrigue than astonishment. "So I fix stuff, basically," he smiled. There was a sparkle in his pale green eyes, and it was clear that he loved what he did. I smiled, nodding.

An obnoxious hum tore me from my mental replay of dinner, sounding right in my ear. I sat open and groped through the sheets, searching for the culprit of the vibrations. I finally found my phone and smiled as a picture of Liam and I in Paris flashed on the screen. I was kissing his cheek and he had an adorable, stupid smile on his face. It was my favorite picture of us. I quickly pressed answer before I accidentally sent him to voicemail, desperate to hear his voice. "Hello?" I whispered, not wanting to wake anybody. After all, it was one in the morning. I was actually quite surprised that Liam was up at seven in the morning.

"Hey!" he replied. Then, in a hushed tone, he added, "Did I wake you?" I smiled at his concern.

"No," I answered, "I just don't want to wake up my parents," I explained. I thought of my mom asleep in her bed in the room next to mine and Daniel in the guest room below, remembering how thin the walls and floors were in this house. Honestly, I was glad the two weren't sleeping in the same bed. I know most people would take it as a bad sign that their parents weren't sleeping in the same bed, but in my situation it was probably for the better. "I'm impressed that you woke up this early," I commented in a joking tone. His familiar chuckle came through the receiver and a strong longing for him ached in my heart.