Chapter 33: Maybe I'm just not strong enough

Chapter 33: Maybe I'm Just Not Quite Strong Enough

*Niall's P.O.V.*

"I bet you people had pizza every single night while I was gone," Sydney accused playfully, shaking her head at the lot of us. She had been back for about ten minutes, so the greetings had already commenced. She received a mumbled chorus of "basically"s in response to her teasing statement.

"It hurts that you doubt my cooking abilities!" Harry put in, making Sydney giggle. The whole gang continued bantering, just chatting like friends do.

I felt a tiny tug on the left side of my shirt, and I looked over to see Haley staring up at me with wide eyes. I kind of mentally asked her what was wrong, and apparently the telepathic communication thing worked, because she leaned up, placing her mouth next to my ear and whispered, "I don't feel so well, I think I'm gonna go lie down."

"Okay, baby," I whispered back, planting a soft kiss on her forehead. She smiled and pecked my cheek quickly before she quickly retreated upstairs, clearly trying to go unnoticed. I was a bit suspicious, considering her recent confession, but I trusted her. Besides, she was a hormonal teenage girl. If she wanted her alone time then she had every right to have it.

However, even though I trusted her, the horrid possibility still nagged at my subconscious, floating around the edges of my mind.

*Michelle's P.O.V.*

I watched Haley scamper up the stairs, realization dawning on me. I looked over at Niall, who looked a bit conflicted. Sure, he was smiling as though he hadn't a care in the world, but I knew how to see past those looks all too well. He was clearly torn between following her and making sure she didn't do anything stupid and just letting her be alone in her adolescent angst. I wanted to tell him, but I didn't know how to with all the people around. I quickly pulled my phone out, opening up a new message and typing Niall's contact into the recipient space.

Me: I think you should go check on Haley.

I pressed send, quickly locking my phone and placing it in my lap as Zayn placed his lips on my cheek. I smiled, kissing him quickly before anyone else noticed. I watched Niall check his phone, and gave him a worried look when his eyes met mine. I gave him an encouraging look as he excused himself and slowly made his way up the stairs. Please get there in time.

*Niall's P.O.V.*

If I wasn't worried before, Michelle's text sure set me off. I was up the stairs within seconds of sharing glances with her, fright setting off every nerve in my body. With shaking hands, I turned into our bedroom. My heart instantly sank.

Haley wasn't on the bed.

I rushed into the bathroom, my heart catching in my throat at the scene before me. There sat Haley, folded in front of the toilet bowl, looking as fragile and brittle as ever. I had never seen her look so slight. A toothbrush was clutched in her violently shaking hands, her knuckles turning white as her whole body swayed unsurely. She stared down into the toilet bowl, her brown eyes wide as saucers. "Haley," I whispered softly, striving to control my voice. The toothbrush flew out of her iron grip, filling the tense silence as it clattered to the tile floor. She jumped back, very accurately resembling a deer in headlights. "Baby," I cooed, inching forward. She scrambled back a bit, then stayed frozen in place as a layer of water coated her beautiful golden eyes. I got to my knees right in front of her, caressing her hot cheeks. I brought my lips to hers briefly before pulling back and staring into her eyes. "You are so perfect," I told her, even though it was quite clear she didn't believe me. "Please don't cry, beautiful," I begged, pulling her into my lap and holding her in my arms. She wrapped her arms around my neck in response to mine winding around her waist, and to my delight she had stopped shaking. I picked her up, carrying her to the bed, mumbling things along the lines of, "You are perfect. I love you. You have no flaws. You make me so happy. Please be happy. You deserve happiness," as I carried her and placed her down. I lay her down, hovering over her and staring into her sad, wide topaz eyes.

"But all of that is lies," she finally responded in a meek voice. I sighed, taking her face gently in my hands and placing my lips on hers once again. I moved them against hers, my words failing me.

"Fine," I said, "I can show you better than I can tell you." I knew she was going to ask what I meant by that, but I silenced her with another loving kiss. But this time, I deepened it, my hands stroking her hair adoringly. I wanted her to feel every ounce of love I had for her in that kiss.

A/N***

I'm watching Disney Channel...

ANYWAYS, hope you like this chappie, its slowly coming to an end. :(

Tc,

Z.♥