Chapter 10: Tristesse

It is the day of the school festival. You practically dragged Tokaku to the courtyard where the festivities were being held. You saw a booth with a dart game, passing it by you saw that they had cat ears and asked Tokaku if she can win them for you.

"Piece of cake." She taunted and proceeded to hit the target with perfect accuracy. "Woah! Good job Tokaku!" You praised as she smiled at your expression.

She points to the boy running the booth to the accessory you wanted.

"Here this is what you wanted right?"
She asked as she handed you the cat ears. You giggled as you made paws with your hands. "Nyah!" You said as you placed the ears on your head. Tokaku almost had a heart attack, 'that was just to darn cute! You're to good for this world!' Tokaku demanded in her head as she tried her best to seem nonchalant.

You then dragged Tokaku to the food booths. You ordered some mini cinnamon buns. As you ate, Tokaku was sitting patiently for you to finish. She has sit cross legged and rested her head on her arm that was leaning on the table. "Here Tokaku! Say ~ah!" You demanded with a sweet smile. She said no for a few seconds but gave up after you started pouting.

"Fine ah." She ate the desert off your fork. Unbeknownst to you two. Chitaru and Hitsugi were watching and discussing certain things. "Hitsugi I still find it odd your a member of this class." Hitsugi looks at Chitaru with a saddened expression before Chitaru said nevermind.

"Chitaru, don't worry about it ok?"

"Ok..."

"Chitaru, before I forget. You said to (Y/n) the other day that she wasn't your target."

"She's not. My true intentions here are to find a assassin named Angel's triumphant. She killed my teacher and I avenge my teacher." She said with a clenched fist. This made Hitsugi wide eyed. "Well, I'll help you no matter what." Hitsugi informed with a smile.

After a while you and Tokaku were in the gym. The set had been repair along with any damages done to the set. You and Tokaku were on center stage rehearsing scenes for tomorrow's play. You and her were sword fighting, she had parried you and accidentally hit your hand with the fake sword.

"Come on (Y/n)! You gotta try harder! The play is tomorrow!" The director/Shiena commanded. You nod while Tokaku returns the sword. Not before checking your hand and giving it a little kiss.

Isuke was in the side stage making side comments. "Azuma has to kill (Y/n) in this scene? How ironic!" She said laughing.

After a days worth of practicing you went back stage to try on your costume for the play. Since you played the part of a noble men you had to wear men's attire.

You complimented some of the other classmates. That was until Tokaku came out in her costume.

"Wow Tokaku look great. Now you look like a price!"

She says nothing at first before mentioning that anyone looks good in nice clothing. You laughed and told her not to say things like that.

"Here let's take a picture together!"

She reluctantly poses besides you. In the end everyone went home for the day. As you and Tokaku settled for the night by relaxing on the couch. You decided to check on the script to see if you memorized the lines properly.

As you were looking for it you realized you left the script at the gym. You felt dread set in and run out the door to get it. "(Y/n)! Where are you going?! It's way to late for you to be going anywhere." She stated as she grabbed your arm as you were running out the door.

"I left my script I'm going to go get it real quick."

"No, you can get it tomorrow."

"Nooooooo. I really need to practice." You interjected as you ran off. Tokaku sighs and follows you to the gym.
Meanwhile in the dressing room. Shiena was putting a warning letter into your script. But as she was doing so she heard someone enter. She hide the items behind her back and sighed a breath of relief when she saw it was Hitsugi.

She chuckles and smiles with dark eyes. "Planning on making your move already?"
Shiena gasped and saw that the items were revealed by the mirror behind her. She smacks her lips and says not to say anything. Hitsugi's smile darkens as she uses a poison on Shiena to know her out unconscious.

Both you and Tokaku heard something fall in the dresser room. You enter and see Hitsugi picking up the letter from a unconscious Shiena. She smiles once more and walks by you. She hands you the letter and informs that she's been meaning to give it to you for awhile.

As she exited the door she speaks one last time.

"I look forward to tomorrow." With a sinister smile on her face as she walks off.

The next day passes. The teacher mentions the fact that Shiena has been hospitalized due to an illness. But Nio informed the class the truth when the teacher stepped out the room. "She was poisoned and due to the fact the poison was so strong she'll stay there for a while meaning she is disqualified." Nio finishes as this caught the attention of Chitaru. She assumes Tokaku did it as a way to protect you. But that couldn't be further then the truth.

Later on that day Nio and one other student were handing out pamphlets for the today's play. While this happened you and Tokaku leaned on a stair case railing and talked. You guys were already in costumes.

"I will do my best for Shiena's sake! She worked so hard for this play... I guess it'll be difficult since she is not here." You chuckled and scratched the back of your neck.

Tokaku nodded and decided to inform you on certain things. "We need to be extra careful today. Hitsugi will most likely try to poison you. So don't eat anything today. Especially if I didn't give it to you."

"Ok! The same goes to you. Please be careful as well Tokaku."

Tokaku nods seriously and closes the distance between you two.

"I will protect you. No matter what happens." She said as she puts a hand on your cheek.

"...Tokaku." you said with a blush and smile.

She gives you a small peck on the lips and smiles. "Enjoy yourself to the max today." She finishes and you nodded happily.

Tristesse is French for tragedy. The next chapter will be a dozy. What will happen during the play? Will Chitaru learn the truth about her close companion?
Well stay tuned for the next chapter. ;> ~♡