Fifteen

LENA'S POV

    "So, Lena, how's business school treating you?" My mom asked me over the phone.

    "It's fine, mom. I've just had so much to do the past few weeks it's been overwhelming," I answered, eating my cereal for an afternoon snack.

    I heard mom sigh on the other end. "Well, I just get worried. I mean, you haven't called for the past two weeks. What's going on, sweetheart?"

    I paused. I'd been spending a lot of time with Stef and when I wasn't with her I was thinking about her. And that doesn't exactly scream "you should call your mother"-kind of thinking.

    "There's a girl. I know it! What's her name?" Mom said.

    I sighed. I wasn't ready to tell her yet. Stef was a player and I had to be cautious. I didn't want to get my hopes up for nothing. "It's no one, mom. I met a girl, yes, but it's nothing serious."

    "Well, if you say so... just be careful, ok, Lena?"

    "Careful of what?" I asked.

    My mom sighed. "Don't let her break your heart. Better yet, never underestimate how great of a woman you truly are. You deserve the best, daughter of mine."

    "I know, mom. And thank you for always reminding me of that," I said.

    "Anytime, baby. Now, how's Joey?"

    I laughed. My mom loved Joey so much that it almost felt like he, too, was her child. "He's fine. Been a little worried about test scores and the fact that he might lose his scholarship, but I've been doing my best to make sure he doesn't."

    "That's my girl. Make sure your scores are good too, girl. You know you need to learn a lot to become a successful businesswoman."

    There it was. My mom pressuring me.

    "Don't worry, okay? I'm doing my best," I assured her.

    "Good. Alright, let me go now, your father's having Nate over for dinner and I need to make nice and pretend he's not racist." Mom said.

    I shook my head instinctively, even though she couldn't see it. "Mom, no. Now where is that confident woman that doesn't take crap from white men? Come on! You have got to tell Daddy."

    "Lena, I'm much too tired to discuss this with you right now. Let me go, I still have to make dinner."

    I sighed. "Good luck, mom." I hung up the phone.

    "Tonight's mood: netflix & chill," I got Stef's text.

    I laughed softly. "Dress code?" I replied.

    "Dressing is optional and definitely not encouraged." Jesus. What was this woman doing to me right now.

    "What time should I meet you?" I texted back.

    "I'll pick you up at 8."

    "Nope. I'll meet you there at 8." I didn't want to depend on her to drive me home. I wanted to feel free to go home whenever I wanted, it was too early for me to depend on her this much. I had to be careful.

    "Stubborn. K then," she texted.

    "😉" was all I said.

    I decided to wear casual jeans and a purple T-shirt, putting my hair up and applying some very light make-up on my face. When it was around 7:30, I headed to the supermarket and bought us a bottle of wine, then going to the studio.

    When I arrived there, Stef opened the door for me to let me in. She was wearing a blue T-shirt and a black pair of yoga pants, and her hair was down as always.

    "Hi," I smiled at her and kissed her cheek, walking inside and putting the bottle of wine on the counter. I dropped my purse on her couch and she grabbed my arm, turning me around to face her.

    She kissed my lips slowly, sexily and hungrily. "Hi," she finally said. "Thanks for the wine. Shall I pour you a glass?"

    "Yes, please," I said.

    She handed me the glass of wine. She looked beautiful, as always, but she also looked tired. "Were you sleeping when I got here?"

    Stef huffed. "I wish. I got home from New York a few hours ago and the flight was bad. And I had to edit the pics to send Ellen, and they're still not quite there yet, but..." She sipped on her wine.

    "Oh." I said.

    "Why, do I look that bad to you?" She asked laughing lightly. She knew the answer. Player.

    I shook my head. "Not at all, you just seem... more tired than usual."

    Stef sipped on her wine once more. "I get like this when I'm working on a big project. Taking pictures for Ellen is big. She's growing, developing her career and this could be a great opportunity for me."

    "I'm sure it will be," I said, smiling.

    "Thanks. Now, why did you reject my ride?" She raised an eyebrow.

    "No reason. I just prefer being safe." I winked at her.

    Stef laughed. "Whatever. You'll get used to it soon enough."

    Interesting. Get used to it.

    "Well, what movie are we watching?" I asked Stef, changing the subject.

    "I don't know. Let's see," she grabbed the remote and turned the TV on, clicking on Netflix.

    We scrolled through the movies, looking for a suspense/action movie. Stef and I both liked that kind. "There's this new one," we finally picked one.

    "But, before we watch, we should probably make some food," I said.

    "Make food? Why don't we just order food?" Stef whined.

     "Because it's more fun to make food together," I said, smiling at her.

    "Stef put her head on my shoulder. Poor baby, she really was tired. "Nooo, let's just order pizza!"

    I laughed as I ran my fingers through her hair softly and stood up from the couch. "We can make pizza instead."

    "Fuck, you're so domestic it's annoying," she yelled, standing up to help me.

    As I stood there in her kitchen, I started looking for the ingredients to make pizza. Stef grabbed me by the waistband of my jeans and kissed me softly.

    I moaned into her kiss. She was so hot.

    "Mmm, you like that, baby?" She asked.

    "I do," I said. "Now get working! Let's do this thing." I said, not losing focus because I was hungry.

    In more ways than one.

AN: how do you like this so far?