Twenty-one

LENA'S POV

    "Stef, what is it?" I asked, mad at myself for giving in and answering the phone. So she had tried several times, but still.

    She laughed on the other end. "Lena! Shit, I need to- did you get my texts? Can you meet me on Wednesday?"

    Unbelievable. She didn't feel an apology was necessary?

    "Yeah, I can't." I said coldly. She sounded high. No surprises there. Not exactly the healthiest girl I've ever met.

    Stef sighed on the phone. "Why not? Are you mad at me, Lena?"

    Oh my God I just didn't have the patience to deal with a high Stef on a Monday night. I just didn't.

    "You're high, Stef. Stop calling me," I said, and as I was about to hang up-

    "Sorry! I'm sorry. Please don't hang up. Can you- can you come over? Please?" She pleaded. I could hear her frustration.

    "So you can kick me out again?" I asked, sighing myself.

    "No!! Lena, I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have- could you. Can we talk?"

    "We are talking, Stef," I sighed. "Listen, you need to sleep. I'm going to bed. We can talk when you're sober."

    "I just- do you forgive me?" She asked.

    I didn't want to answer. Not about this. Not now. "Bye, Stef." And I hung up the phone.

    I immediately went to find Joey, who was in the kitchen making himself a sandwich. "Stef called."

    "No shit," he said, putting mayo on his bread. "Did you answer?"

    "Yes." I admitted, smiling slightly.

    "Oh my god, you've got it bad. What did she say?"

    I sighed. "She said she was sorry and asked me to go over to her place, asked me about Wednesday... I didn't say much. She was high, so I decided not to say anything."

    Joey took a bite of his now prepared sandwich. "She gets high often, huh? That's shitty."

    I nodded. "I know. I think she needs to deal with things but she just can't? I don't know. She might need help."

    "And do you think you can help her? Better yet, do you wanna be the person that goes through that? Because I'm telling you- it might not be worth it."

    I shrugged. "I honestly have no idea. I've never been this confused in my life."

    Joey laughed. "Oh honey, you're screwed." He said, shaking his head and taking another bite of his sandwich.

    "Stop. Stop saying that!" I asked. "I'm going to bed. Stop being mean."

    I did as I said I would. I went to bed and slept, woke up the next morning and headed to my college classes. At 8:30, I got a text from Stef.

    "Hey. Good morning! Can we talk?"

    To which I replied. "Not now. Call me in 4 hours."

    "Could I meet you for lunch instead?" What was her problem? I started thinking it was something serious.

    "Where?" I could suggest my place. I really could, I just didn't want to. At all. She'd never been to my place, so why would I give her this benefit now? I had to be careful.

    "Could be at my place. I can order food and pick you up." She offered.

    "Thanks but I'll drive myself." I said.