Nineteen

AN: very short but I really wanted to get something out for you guys! If I have time, another update might be coming later today. Thanks for your understanding.

LENA's POV

    "No fucking way!" Joey said as I went back home and explained everything to him.

    I nodded, still not believing what had happened. "True story."

    He shook his head and grabbed my hand. "So another girl just walks in while you are with her - and I'm not even considering the fact that she let the girl in in the first place - and she leaves you to talk to the girl? As if that weren't enough, she kicks you out based on what another girl said. I mean-"

    "Yep. You summed it up really well," I sighed.

    Joey stood up from the couch. "Ok, honey, here's what we're gonna do: she texts you asking you to come over - after the shit she just pulled - you don't answer. You're better than that, my friend. You deserve better. I'm telling you, she's just gonna break your heart."

    "She kinda already is, right. I just hate that I let this happen," I groan to myself.

    Joey laughed at me. "You didn't let anything happen, sweetie. None of this is your fault. You gave it a shot - as you should - and it didn't work out. It's a bummer, but, what are you gonna do." He shrugged.

    He had a point. "You're right. I'm just- God! Ok. It's fine. Let's study."

    Joey shook his head. "Nope. You may have spent your entire weekend fucking-"

    "Joey!"

    "But I actually did a lot of studying. And while I appreciate your help, I'm trying to help you out too. So let's go." He stood me up from the couch.

    "Where?" I asked, taking a step back.

    Joey smiled at me. "Your safe heaven. To buy books."

    I smiled at him. "You're sweet. But it's fine, Joey, really. I'm ok. Stef and I were never serious anyway and I-"

    "Okay, save me the speech. We are going, whether you like it or not. Because, say... I need to go." He affirmed.

    I laughed. I loved Joey so much.

    While we were browsing at the bookshop, Joey picked out a couple of books and I decided I probably shouldn't. I had my Kindle at home and a ton of books there that I still had to read.  As Joey looked around, I received a text. From Stef.

    "You free on Wednesday night?" It said.

    I wanted to answer. I wanted to say "yes, what's the plan?" and get excited about it but she wouldn't let me. She wouldn't give me anything to work with. So I couldn't either.

    I thought it was better not to say anything and leave her wondering than answering the text as if nothing had happened. So I didn't answer. I left her wondering.

    I went back home and Joey and I had dinner - I'd cooked incredible pasta. Yeah. Stef sure was missing. I was good at so many things - too bad she couldn't see it.

    I sighed after the long and psychologically exhausting day I'd had.  Then I received a call from Stef. I looked at my phone and I wish it was simple. I wish she would let it be simple. But it wasn't. So I didn't answer the phone. I simply let it ring and went to bed.

    She would have to learn not to play with women's feelings. Well, not my feelings anyway.