sixty eight.

new year

new year.

it meant new resolutions and the day where you stay up late until the clock hit twelve before busting all the fireworks and yell until your lungs gave out.

however, for jason, it was like any other day. he drank his second beer of the night as he mindlessly pressed his remote control, switching between channels. almost all of them were counting down the minutes until it hit twelve.

his cat, cat, had chosen to spend her new year sleeping away underneath the sofa, something he wished he could do but couldn't.

something or a certain someone had been occupying his mind, leaving him wide awake at night. it felt weird, not having over fifty texts from her or even a call or a simple meme. he was used to receiving one of those at the end of the day.

he thought about calling her a countless times but always backed out. it had been ten days and she didn't bother to call him and neither did he. however, he felt stupid, she broke up with him, why would she call him if she ended things ? yet, jason was too stubborn.

jason smacked his lips as he took a another sip of his drink, his face scrunched up at the bitter and cold liquid.

for a moment, he thought about going to his neighbor's party, partly because they had food and his pantry was empty but then he realized if he were to go, he probably have to greet and meet stranger's in order to even get a small piece of food. he hated small talks, especially with strangers.

jason knew he was a loner and he wasn't bothered by it. did he sometime hate himself for being so antisocial ? sometimes. but he rather spend time alone than with strangers confined into a small room like sardines.

he sighed and looked down at his phone. nowadays, it seemed that his phone's battery lasted more than usual. probably from the fact nobody was calling or texting him. that thought quickly irritated him as it reminded him of the girl who often drained his battery with her long debate and unnecessary amount of memes.

he kissed his teeth while his thumb hovered on the cherry emoji contact, he contemplated of either getting drunk and accidentally butt dial her or leave her be until she reached out to him on her own.

he leaned more on the first option.

just as he was about to get up and stack up his liquors. his door bell rang.

he was confused until a sudden excitement ran through his veins at the thought of who was behind that door. quickly eyeing himself on the mirroir on the wall, he cringed at his growing scruff and messy hair. he ran a hand through his greasy hair a few times, hoping to tame the strands while he hurried around in his living room, picking up all the trash and spaying febreze to hide the smell of farts and sweats.

he propped his hand to his mouth as he let out a breath and bought his hand up to his nose and frowned. his breath didn't exactly smell minty but he couldn't let her wait any longer nor could he contain his nervousness.