Aim for the Top

"The first one back is none other than Izuku Midoriya!" Mic announced as we ran into the stadium.

"Damn it," Bakugo swore under his breath. "How did Deku beat me?!"

I wiped the sweat from my brow and tried to catch my breath. I glanced at Todoroki who was also out of breath, he seemed slightly annoyed that he came in third place. Bakugo seemed the most irritated though. I gave them both a half smile and walked over to Midoriya. I had no idea how he managed to get in front of us but I was still impressed.

"Deku!" Uraraka yelled cheerfully. She and Iida came running up to join us. "That was amazing!"

"How could I have lost in a race?" Iida said biting his lip. "Shichi you are faster than I expected and Midoriya that was quite impressive!"

"How did you do it?" I asked finally able to breathe normally.

"I used the mines," Midoriya explained. "I made a pile of them and jumped on them with the piece of metal. It was a bold move and it might not have worked but I'm glad it did."

"Well you definitely surprised me," I laughed running a hand through my hair.

"Alright everyone!" Midnight said getting our attention. "Here are the rankings from the obstacle course. Only the top 42 people will move on to the next round." She pressed a button bringing up a screen. There were 42 names but I only paid attention to the top ten.

1. Midoriya
2. Shichi
3. Todoroki
4. Bakugo
5. Shiozaki
6. Honenuki
7. Iida
8. Tokoyami
9. Sero
10.Kirishima

"The next event will be a cavalry battle!" Midnight said after all the rankings were posted. "Participants will form teams of two to four people. Once you have your team  you will make horse/rider positions. The rules are similar to a regular cavalry battle, snag the head bands off other riders while protecting your own. Only this time you all have been awarded point values, the person on the bottom is worth 5p next 10p and so on. The person in first place however is worth ten million points!"

It seemed like we all turned around to look at Midoriya who was worth ten million points. He was going to be the obvious first target. He looked like he was going to pass out from all the pressure that was just put on him. This was also like the hero ranking system, people on top were always going to have people below them coming for them.

"That means the higher ranked students are the ones to go for," Midnight said. "After all this is a survival game, that's Plus Ultra. The match will last 15 minutes and each team's points are determined by its members. The rider will wear a headband displaying the total point value. You have until the end of the match to protect and gain more points. All headbands must be worn on the neck or higher. Even if yours is taken it's not over until it's over. Quirks are allowed but no maliciously attacking other players. You have 15 minutes to form teams!"

Everyone seemed to start bunching together to form teams. It seemed like most people were sticking with their classmates. I was thinking about who I should team up when Todoroki approached me, "Shichi, will you join my team?"

"Wait, really?" I blinked in surprise.

"Yea I could use you for your fire and air," Todoroki explained. "If you already have a team I understand."

"I don't," I said too quickly. "I'll join your team. I just hope I can help you out."

"Thanks," Todoroki said before going off to find more members. I saw him talking to Iida and Momo.

"Hey Iida," I said as I walked up to him. He gave me a quick nod at my approach.

"Shichi, Iida!" Midoriya came running up to us with Uraraka. "You two would be perfect for our team! With Iida as our front with Uraraka and I on the sides we can form a solid horse. Shichi with you are the rider we could use your air for defensive purposes. My plan is to pretty much run away the whole time." He explained.