Ultimate Moves

As I was walking back to the dorm I saw a small group standing outside. As I got closer I realized that it was Kirishima, Todoroki, Midoriya, Momo, Iida, Uraraka, and Tsu. She was in the center and they hugged her like they were trying to make her feel better about something. I hesitated for a moment trying to give them space. I waited until they went back inside before heading in myself. As I crossed the common room I looked at Midoriya. I knew about his quirk now but I was afraid to tell him.

Midoriya looked at me before tilting his head in confusion. I quickly bolted up the stairs, as I was heading up to the second floor, I ran into someone. I looked up and saw Todoroki looking down at me. "I'm sorry," I said trying to scoot passed him.

"Why are you avoiding me?" Todoroki asked. I stopped in my tracks and sighed.

"I'm not," I said. "I'm just tired." After, I bolted to my room.

The next day I came into class just before the bell rang. As soon as I sat down Shota walked in through the door. "Good morning everyone. Our primary goal is for you all to get your provisional licenses. Hero licenses are directly tied to the saving of lives. One must be qualified for such a responsibility. So naturally, the test is incredibly difficult. Even for provisional licenses we only see a 50% success rate."

"It's really that hard?" Sero asked.

Shota nodded, "that's why, starting today each of you needs to come up with at least two ultimate moves." At that moment Midnight, Cementoss, and Ectoplasm entered the room while the other students cheered about being able to do something hero related.

"Ultimate moves are your finisher, your most unique technique," Ectoplasm explained.

"Internalize these moves and make them your own until they become unparalleled," Cementoss added. "Combat is all about finding and making use of your particular strengths."

"Your moves symbolize who you are," Midnight said. "Now a days pro heroes without an ultimate move are a dying breed."

"It's time to move forward with a detailed explanation and practical demonstration," Shota said. "Change into your costumes and meet at gym gamma."

In the locker room, I put on my costume. I found my glider tucked inside the case. They had made it so it could collapse and fit onto my belt. It was about the size of a baton. I clipped it onto the empty loop on my hip. I pulled my hood up but left my goggles around my neck.

"Um, Kanna?" Tsu said from behind me. "Is everything okay with you? You haven't been as cheerful as you normally are."

"I'm just trying to figure stuff out," I said vaguely. I didn't let her respond before hurrying off towards gym gamma.

Once everyone was there Cementoss began speaking, "gym gamma is also known as the Training Kitchen Lab, or TKL for short. I came up with the idea for this place. Here I can cook up the perfect terrain and objects for each student."

"Sir, why must we create ultimate moves to acquire our provisional licenses?" Iida asked. "Please explain the intention behind this."

"In good time," Shota said. "Heroes deal with accidents, catastrophes, and disasters both man made and natural. It's our job to save people from just about any situation. In the licensing exam, your ability to adapt in those situations will be observed. Intelligence gathering, decision making, mobility, combat prowess, as well as communication skills, charisma, and leadership abilities. The test contents vary from year to year, but applicants are always tested on a variety of this criteria."

"Among the criteria combat prowess will be heavily prioritized for potential heroes," Midnight said.

"Be prepared and you'll have nothing to fear," Cementoss said as he made a tiered area for us to train. There was a level for each student. Ectoplasm made clones of himself one for each platform.