Chapter 18: Healing

"Healing does not mean the damage never existed. It means the damage no longer controls our lives."

         -Anonymous

Trigger warnings: Mentions of suicide. Read at your own risk.

"Beautiful. Isn't it?"

Your eyes shot over to the young Emperor beside you, a small smile pulling at your lips as your moved your eyes back to the night sky above you.

It was one of those nights when the air was cool and moist, the sky was cloudy and dark, but the moon hung above everything shining big and bright, illuminating the dark world that it watched over so fondly, allowing you to see for miles even though it was dark. A night where the air smelled sweet and fragrant and you could relax and even fall asleep.

You nodded your head slowly.

"It is."

After spending the entire day with the young royal, you had grown used to his sweet and soft behavior...although you were still confused about what exactly brought about this sudden change.

You, Jungkook and Grace had played together all day. He showed you hidden spots in the garden, took you to the cherry trees and even let Grace sit on his shoulders so she could touch the soft petals with her tiny hands.

He had his cooks prepare a picnic lunch for all of you and you ate underneath the rosy blossoms, laughing and enjoying each other's company.

At first, you were extremely skeptical about what his motives were and you were hesitant about allowing him anywhere near Grace...But there was something different about him...Maybe you were insane, but this Jungkook did not seem like the man you had encounter the day before...he was gentle and soft-spoken...a gentleman to say the least...and the way he played with Grace made you certain that something was up with him...

After the three of you ate dinner, you received word from Yoongi, telling you that he had been called away for work and wouldn't be returning for a while. He asked you to watch Grace for the night and you happily agreed.

Jungkook seemed thrilled at the idea of getting to spend more time with her as well, telling his servants to prepare a grand meal for the three of you.

The blond toddler indulged herself with anything she could get her hands on and you watched as Jungkook spoiled her, giving her anything her little tummy desired.

After dinner, you all laid in the garden, staring up at the night sky. After a while, Grace crawled in between you and Jungkook, taking shelter in the warm that your bodies produced.

With tired eyes and a full tummy she fell asleep between you and Jungkook, her soft snores now filling your ears.

"I had fun today." You confessed sincerely.

Jungkook nodded, a quiet chuckle escaping him as he petted Grace's blond hair.

"I did as well." He stated. "Today was the most fun I've had in years."

You bit your lip in hesitation as silence fell over the two of you once again.

You had so many questions to ask him...There were so many things you didn't understand.

But...should you bring it up? You had so much fun today and the last thing you wanted was to ruin it by opening your mouth.

You supposed that it would probably be best to keep your questions to yourself, but you needed answers. You needed to know if you could trust him or not.