Chapter 31: Shame

"There is no shame in turning back, when you discover that you are on the wrong path."

                                                                                                             -Anonymous

Your blue eyes were wide, numerous emotions and thoughts shot through your mind as you watched the man before you blink in surprise, his body frozen.

You couldn't comprehend what you were feeling in that moment.

You wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. You wanted to wrap your arms around him, but at the same time you wanted to run away.

All of your emotions were beginning to overwhelm you.

"Y/n.."

Your name left his lips in a silent whisper, his deep, brown eyes boring into yours.

You opened your mouth to respond, but no words came into your mind. You had no idea what to say or do as you watched silent tears begin to trail down his cheeks. 

You couldn't read his expression in that moment. You had no idea what thoughts were going through his head, or what emotions he was feeling. You knew he was probably a little confused...you would be too if you were in his situation.

The two of you stared at each other silently, a thick atmosphere surrounding you.

Namjoon and Hoseok watched the two of you with curious stares, watching your reaction...waiting to see how things would play out.

"Wh-What was that?" Jin asked quietly, his hands moving to touch the tears that stained his face. "Why am I crying?"

Your brows furrowed together, heart clenching in your chest as you inspected him carefully.

"Y-You don't remember?"

Seokjin ran a hand through his hair, confusion covering his features as he shook his head.

"Remember what?"

Those words.

Those two words were all it took to make your world come crashing down around you.

You could feel yourself beginning to fade away. All the hope that you had for the former spirit vanished within an instant..

You thought he would remember. You thought that he would have seen the things that you did. You thought that it would bring him back to you. When your eyes met his, you could have sworn that you saw recognition flash over his deep brown eyes...but you guessed you were wrong..

It was all in your head.

He didn't know you. He still had no idea who you were...he still had no idea what the two of you had been through together...even after your skin brushed his.

You supposed that it was some kind of cruel joke.

You were forced to relive all those memories alone...you were teased with the hope that Jin would come back to you...only to find out that you were still as you had always been. Alone.

"What's going on?" Jin asked, his eyes studying you carefully. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You-You really don't remember me?" You stuttered out silently.

He eyed you for a few moments before frowning.

"I have no idea who you are, woman."

You moved your gaze to the ground.

You suddenly felt so small-so powerless.

It felt as though the walls were beginning to cave in on you. You felt trapped and suffocated as you clenched your fists.