Chapter 21: Care

"I care. I always care. That is my problem."

                                                        -Anonymous

Your eyes were wide with both shock and disbelief as you stared at the spirit in front of you, heart beating a little too fast for your liking.

You were certain that you simply didn't hear him right. That your mind was playing tricks on you and what you thought you heard wasn't at all what he had actually said.

Seokjin's gaze never left yours.

Blue clashed with blue as the two of you stared at each other, both hearts pounding...but for different reasons.

"Y/n," Jin breathed out, licking his lips slowly. "Kiss me."

You blinked.

Kiss me.

Those two words were enough to make you fall silent underneath the setting moon.

To some, the request would seem small and ultimately harmless, especially in the bigger picture...but you knew better.

You honestly couldn't believe how utterly stupid you were, allowing yourself to grow close with him when you knew-you knew...that you couldn't stay here. You knew that once this story was finished...you would have to leave...just like every other time.

Writer's words flashed through your mind.

"Stop falling in love."

You had sworn to yourself that after everything you went through with Yoongi and Taehyung...you were going to leave your feelings out of it. You were going to focus on finishing the stories and going home...wherever that may be..

But, the thing is...You didn't even realize how much you cared about the ghost in front of you...You didn't know how close the two of you were becoming..you didn't know how much you had grown to admire and cherish Kim Seokjin...

It was like it just snuck up on you..

A few moments ago, you thought of the spirit as your friend..nothing more.

But, once those words left his mouth-once those two small words left his mouth...you knew that you had already begun to care about him in ways that you shouldn't.

You wished that you could merely brush it off as Jin being so handsome...but you had gone through this before...and you knew that your heart wasn't just fluttering because he was handsome....

But you couldn't do it again.

You couldn't fall in love again. Not after everything you had gone through. You have loved so beautifully-so purely not one time, but two.....and both times, your happiness was ripped away from you in the blink of an eye....And in the end...you were only left with one thing.

A choice.

A choice between the two worlds...a choice between the men you love..

You couldn't betray either of them by allowing yourself to fall once again...

You simply couldn't.

"I-I can't." You stuttered out, eyes misty as you looked away from the ghost before you.

Seokjin's eyes widened as your rejections, his hand shooting out to grab yours gently.

"Why not?" He asked quietly.

You pulled your hand away from him, never allowing your eyes to meet his own.

You were ashamed.