Chapter 34: Fear

"Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears."

                                                                                                  -Les Brown

Jungkook's chest heaved with labored breaths as he ran forwards, eyes widened with fear and panic as he nervously glanced around the empty courtyard, gaze searching for your figure.

Taehyung followed closely behind him, watching as his younger sibling's body began to shake as he searched for you.

"She's not here." Jungkook stated, breathlessly, running his hands through his hair. "She's not here!"

Taehyung stepped forward, placing his hands on the younger's shoulders in an attempt to calm him down.

"Don't panic." He order sternly. "Panicking will only make things worse. We'll find her-"

"What if he finds her first?!" Jungkook snapped, pulling at his dirty blond locks. "He may have his human body, but he still has his powers. If he finds her, he'll-"

Taehyung's gaze darkened as he shook his brother slightly, pointing a finger at his face.

"You cannot think like that." He scolded. "We will find her and we will keep her safe. I promise."

Jungkook ran a hand over his face, nodding his head slowly as he squeezed his eyes shut.

"And what about Jimin?" He asked softly.

Jungkook watched as Taehyung's eyes fell, his expression becoming soft and sullen as he shook his head.

"You knew he was our brother?" Jungkook asked.

The orange-haired man sighed heavily.

"Yes." He stated. "His mother worked as a maid in the palace...father didn't want to embarrass himself by allowing anyone to know the Jimin was his son...So he didn't tell anyone...not even you."

"Why did he tell you?" Jungkook inquired. "Why you and not me?"

Taehyung shook his head, eyes scanning over the lily pond that rested in the middle of the stone courtyard.

"I found out on my own." He deadpanned. "I over heard one of the maids telling my mother about it.."

"Why didn't you ever tell me?" Jungkook asked, with big eyes. "He's my brother too...I deserved to know."

Taehyung's green eyes softened on his younger sibling.

"You were the heir to the throne, Jungkook." He stated. "Telling you would have put your life in danger. Daesung killed the nurse who delivered Jimin into the world...I cannot know for sure that he would not have done the same to you if you allowed it to slip."

The dirty blond male only nodded his head in response, a feeling of defeat washing over him.

"I wish I would have known sooner...maybe-maybe I could have prevented him from..."

His sentence trailed off as his eyes fell to the ground, lips not yet willing to speak of his brother's fate.

Taehyung frowned at the thought, his expression hardening in hatred towards his father.

He did not understand how someone could be so cruel as to force their own flesh and blood to give up their life, while he walked away with nothing more than a sideways glance to his slowly fading son.

The thought of Jimin slowly beginning to crumble from the inside out was enough to make Taehyung's blood boil and his heart drop.

"We'll never see him again," Taehyung's eyes shot up as Jungkook spoke. "Will we?"