Chapter 32: Choices

"Choices are the hinges of destiny."

                                               -Edwin Markham

Jin's chest heaved with numerous heavy breaths as he marched his way through the palace, out of the rain. His eyes were filled with unshed tears that threatened to roll down his cheek at any given moment. His hands were shaking as flashes of what he had witnessed began to replay over and over again in his mind.

A soft sob escaped his lips, causing his hand to snap up to cover his mouth, eyes squeezing shut as he struggled to contain his own emotions.

He should have told you the truth. He shouldn't have pretended that he didn't know who you were.

He thought that you would be happier without him, that your life would be simple and better if you didn't have him constantly weighing you down...but now he knew that he had made a mistake...

His actions had pushed you into the arms of another man.

The worst part was that he couldn't blame anyone but himself. He couldn't be angry with Hoseok and he couldn't be angry with you.

A single tear rolled down Jin's cheek as he recalled the scene. He could see the passion that radiated from the kiss between the two of you, he noticed the way Hoseok looked at you and he noticed the way he held you.

It was painful.

But what could he do?

Should he run to you and tell you everything? Should he tell you that he remembers and that he knows who you are? Should he tell you that he still loves you with all of his heart? Should he ask you to stay away from Hoseok?

Seokjin sighed.

No. He couldn't do any of that. Not after what he saw. He knew that Hoseok was comforting you as you went through the pain he had caused and he couldn't be angry because of that.

Even if Jin was hurting...he was happy that you hadn't been going through this time alone. Knowing that you had some support was comforting.

He just wished that he had told you the truth sooner.

"Jin?"

Speak of the devil.

Your blue eyes studied the man before you with caution, gaze trailing over his muscular figure, which was wet from the rain.

Seokjin didn't move when the sweet sound of your voice filled his ears. He couldn't move.

His eyes slowly closed, his shoulders slumping as more tears slowly began to roll down his pale cheek.

Your brows furrowed at the lack of response, head tilting to the side as you observed him.

After the kiss with Hoseok, you had told him you were going to go to sleep and he only nodded sadly before leaving you to your own emotions.

You still had no idea what to think about the entire situation.

Jung Hoseok was a good man and he cared about you vigorously. He was your friend and confidant...but you didn't have romantic feelings towards him...and you think he knew that...

It hurt you to watch him break into pieces because of you...you hated being the reason he was upset...but you weren't going to lie to him...You were in love with Jin...and that wasn't going to change.

"Are you alright?" You asked softly.

The former spirit remained still, his eyes never leaving the rain that poured all around the two of you.