8

"Mom? Dad?"

Childhood memory - age 15

"Mom, can I talk to you?" I said quietly.

"Yeah, sure, what's wrong?" The mother said.

"I-I think.. I'm gay.." Taehyung spoke as he looked downward, trying his hardest not to stutter.

The mother was shocked,  looking at him with disbelief.

"I didn't raise you to be a disgrace!" The mother began as she yelled into his face.

Taehyung's eyes started to tear up. "I want you to leave now!" The mother yelled again, slapping him across the face.

Today - 23

"Mom? Dad?" Taehyung muttered, a quicker within his voice, making it noticeable that he was shaken up from his ridden anxiety. 

"Don't get any idea that we are here to spend time with you. We're just here to drop some stuff off." The dad said.

The mother dropped a box full of baby books and pictures of their son. 

"T-thanks.." Taehyung spoke, feeling shocked by the sudden appearance of his parents after such a long time of not seeing them.

They turned around, not saying another word. I grabbed the box, heading back inside. Once I entered the dining room, everyone was sitting down eating their meals. I placed the box down near the stairs, and I decided to go through it later.

"What's wrong?" Jungkook asked, hugging the older boy from behind in a way to comfort him about what had seemed to be upsetting him.

"Nothing, let's eat our food." Taehyung insisted, walking towards the table with a plate of food. 

Jungkook sat next to him, rubbing his back to give him some sort of soothing comfort. 

Taehyung's food was already cold after being untouched for so long, which only made his mood worsen. 

"What's wrong?" Jungkook whispered into his ear, pleading silently for at least a singular answer. 

Taehyung let out a sigh of defeat before looking around for anyone who could have been listening in on them. "My parents came over a couple of minutes ago," he began as he tried to calm himself down. "They gave me back all of my childhood stuff and said they never wanted to speak to me again." 

Jungkook frowned before coming up with a response that would hopefully calm Taehyung's unsettled nerves.

 "If they disowned you over something like that, do you really think that it was worth having them within your life?" Jungkook said, a comforting, nearly unnoticeable smile swept across his lips. 

Taehyung's frown slowly disappeared as he realized that Jungkook was completely correct. He didn't need his parents, nor did he need their love and overall affection, when they never gave him that in the first place. He needed to learn and know how to live without them, no matter how heart-wrenched and changed he would feel throughout the process. 

"I love you, Jungkook. So much." Taehyung said through a soft smile before pulling him into a tight embrace. 

A sense of still, untouched silence around the two seemed to be ripped away as the rest of the friend group stormed into the house.