Week 6 - Turnin' Me On

Turnin' me on like it's her job
Sometimes I think she must get off on
Turnin' me on, turnin' me on
Knows how to set me on fire
She's always holding the match
And when my body's beside hers
There ain't no turnin' back
——Turnin' Me On, Blake Shelton

Week Six
Your baby is the size of a sweet pea.

September 19, 2021

Cait was still throwing up a pretty decent amount. But she was managing to eat some too. She'd made it through work on Friday, grateful that her father never came into the office on Fridays. Not only were there fewer questions about her health, she also didn't get quizzed about the vase of calla lilies that was delivered with a card that simply said I love you.

And she'd only thrown up twice while she was there, making it to the bathroom both times. She was getting better at anticipating it.  Some of the suggestions from the doctor were helping to manage it too.

Of course, she'd come home and crawled straight into bed, still in her suit. She'd been asleep there when Grayson got home from playing a round of golf with some of his teammates.

They'd spent a rainy Saturday curled up on the couch, Grayson reading his pregnancy books and Cait mostly napping, with Grayson's large hand resting on her stomach as he occasionally talked to the baby. Connor had soccer but they'd told him that Cait was still a little under the weather and made plans to have dinner the next day.

But Grayson had also begged Cait to consider telling their family the news. And he'd finally worn her down.

So today they were starting with his parents. After Cait slept in and then went through her morning routine of vomiting, eating crackers, taking a vitamin and drinking coffee that Grayson frowned at her about, then vomiting again, they placed the call.

Grayson knew that his mother despised FaceTime, but he really wanted to see her face when he told her this news. So he punched the button and saw Sherry's narrowed eyes when she answered.

"Grayson James, you know I hate this," she started out.

"Blame Cait," he smirked. "It was her idea."

"It was not!" Cait shoved him. "It wasn't, Momma Sherry."

"Is Dad around?" Grayson asked.

"He's right here," Sherry told him. "Church picnic is today and we were just about to head out."

"Can you spare a few minutes?" Grayson asked. "We've got something to tell you."

"Always have time for you two." Will's face appeared in the corner of the screen.  "What's the big news?"  Will was bracing himself for another trade or something.

"Well, we were wondering if you two would mind too much if we were to make grandparents out of you?" Grayson said, dorky grin spreading over his face. 

"Oh my God, I need to sit down," Sherry gasped, apparently forgetting that she knew that this was a possibility.  "Really?"

"It's too soon to get terribly excited," Cait said hesitantly.  "The baby isn't due until May 22nd."

But Sherry was already crying. "Oh, there's so much to do. We'll come visit soon and start getting everything ready."