Week 17 - The Bones

Yeah life sure can try to put love through it, but
We built this right, so nothing's ever gonna move it
When the bones are good, the rest don't matter
Yeah, the paint could peel, the glass could shatter
Let it rain, 'cause you and I remain the same
When there ain't a crack in the foundation
Baby, I know any storm we're facing
Will blow right over while we stay put
The house don't fall when the bones are good
Call it dumb luck, but baby, you and I
Can't even mess it up, although we both try
----The Bones, Maren Morris

Week Seventeen
Your baby is as big as a large onion

December 4, 2021

Grayson had left Christie's house and walked around the neighborhood a couple more times.  He'd even stopped at the Fraziers' house, knowing they weren't home, borrowed a basketball and gotten some shots up on Ethan's hoop, just trying to clear his head.  Christie had really not been happy when he'd told her she was out of her goddamn mind, asking him to stay the night. Or when he'd told her that it was best that she not stop by the house unannounced anymore. But that wasn't really his concern.

Now it was about midnight and he was walking back into his own home, hoping that Cait would be asleep. He should have known better.

He pulled off his sweatshirt and let the dog out. And then he heard her voice, from the dark of the family room. "Where have you been?"

"Just needed some fresh air," he replied. "We can talk about that later. But if you want to get into something now, how about you explain why you hid that lawsuit from me?"

Cait flipped on the light and studied his face. "I'm afraid I'm distracted by the lipstick marks on your cheek," she snapped. "It's not my color."

Grayson's hand immediately flew to his cheek and he rubbed it as he regarded his wife. "It isn't what you think," he said quickly.

"How do you know what I think?" she returned. "Honestly, I've been sitting here thinking that there's no possible way that you would cheat on me. That I had nothing to worry about. That Tammy Anderson was just being a busybody when she told me that she's seen Christie stopping by our house when I'm not home. Or out walking with you. I didn't think there was any chance that you would do that. I still don't, but I have to admit, the circumstances don't look good at the moment. So if I'm a huge fool, I hope you'll be man enough to tell me that right now."

"I wouldn't cheat on you, Cait," he sighed. "Tammy Anderson should mind her own damn business."

"Were you with Christie tonight?" Cait asked.

"I was out walking," he replied, knowing he had to come clean. "I've been out walking most of the night. But she saw me and offered me a cup of tea. So I went in her house for about an hour. I honestly didn't say much of anything to her. She did most of the talking. The woman never shuts up. But she did kiss my cheek. And asked me to spend the night. I said no. I told her she was crazy. And I left. But I'm still upset with you, so I didn't come back here right away."

"And the rest?" she asked simply.

"She stopped by to borrow some eggs," Grayson frowned. "And to check on you not being at yoga class. I didn't do anything with her. I swear. And I was out walking the dog one day and she was running and asked if she could walk with me while she cooled down. This is all innocuous."