Week 18 - Butterflies

Now you're lifting me up instead of holding me down
You're taking my hand instead of taking my crown
Untangled all the strings round my wings that were tied
I didn't know him and he didn't know me
Could nine was always out of reach
Now I remember what it feels like to fly
You give me butterflies
----Butterflies, Kacey Musgraves

Week Eighteen
Your baby is the size of a cucumber

December 11, 2021

Cait had wound up begging off dinner with her grandmother the night before, telling Caroline that she was tired.  She'd promised lunch today instead. That was no big deal because her father was taking Connor to the Army/Navy game, which was being played at Met Life Stadium, just across the river in New Jersey.

Connor had asked Cait to come with them, but she wasn't sure that she was up for being out in the cold for several hours.  And both Connor and her father, who had met them in New York the day before, agreed. 

She would have liked to go see the game, to be there with Connor, knowing how excited he was.  But she still didn't want to run the risk of getting sick.  It was a little gut wrenching to feel like she was making a choice between Connor and the twins, but Connor had been completely understanding and told her to curl up on her couch and watch the game and that he'd text her.

But before she could do that, she was making lunch, because Granny had actually agreed to come to her, rather than directing Cait to appear on the Upper East Side.  Caroline had said she was happy to do it, especially once she learned that there was a possibility that Grayson would be able to make an appearance.

So Cait had made a trip to the gym and to Whole Foods and had spoken to Grayson, who had gotten in late the night before after an overtime win in Boston.  He hadn't wanted to disturb her, so he'd stayed at the team hotel.  But he was free for lunch and then would head back over for film before he'd be available for the holiday party that evening. 

Cait put the finishing touches on their lunch of a creamy cauliflower risotto, topped with roasted asparagus and artichoke hearts and fresh chives.  It was a vegan dish that managed to have plenty of flavor.  She'd made a chicken, spinach and rice soup to go with it and she was happy with the way both came out, so she photographed them and posted it.  She generally got positive comments about her cooking and lots of requests for the recipes. 

Granny was on time and was appropriately amazed by the baby bump.  She hugged Cait and patted it and grinned from ear to ear.  Cait told her that they shouldn't wait for Grayson and they were just sitting down to eat when he arrived. 

Cait watched with a shake of her head as her grandmother lit up when Grayson walked in the apartment.  She didn't bother to let him greet his wife.  Instead, she was out of the chair and hugging him before he even got his coat off.  So Cait got his lunch dished up and on the table while he was humoring Granny.

"And twins!" Granny was gushing at him.  "I should have expected it.  I just knew you were all man.  Bernice Wheeler tried to tell me that she wasn't so sure about you.  She called you a twink.  But I knew you had it in you."

Cait was rolling her eyes, but Grayson laughed.  "Glad to prove you right, Granny," he grinned.  "But speaking of my twins, let me say hello to them."  He walked to Cait and kissed her first, then put a hand on that baby bump.  "How are Itchy and Scratchy doing today?" he asked.