Week 24 - Burning Man

Half your life you struggle
Half your life you fly
Half your life makin' trouble
Half your life makin' it right
One day I'm the exception
Most days I'm just like most
Some days I'm headed in the right direction
And some days I ain't even close
I'm a little bit steady
But still a little bit rolling stone
I'm a little bit heaven
But still a little bit flesh and bone
Little found, little don't know where I am
I'm a little bit holy water, but still a little bit burning man
——Burning Man, Dierks Bentley

Week Twenty-Four
Your baby is a big as a pomegranate

January 22, 2022

The benefit of covering skiing in Vail was that Cait didn't have to stay in a hotel.  She was happily settled in a very familiar suite of rooms, with Chitana fussing over her non-stop.  And it was pretty nice. 

This weekend was the last event before they named the Olympic team.  And on Monday, they were shooting some footage of a team dinner for which Cait had designed the menu. 

Then the team would be on their way to Korea for an event before the Olympics and Cait would be on her way to New York. 

Grayson would be going on the road anyhow, to Dallas and LA, so Cait was going to New York where she could work at both her jobs. That left Connor in charge of the animals.

But Connor would have that responsibility for most of the next few weeks.  Cait would be back and forth between New York and Memphis and Grayson had a couple of road trips before the All Star break.  And they'd be spending part of the break in New York. 

Even their babiesmoon wouldn't be too far from the City, because Cait would have appearances to do.  But she'd managed to clear four days over the weekend and she'd come up with a plan. 

Right now, her only complaint was that she probably couldn't even watch Grayson's game the next afternoon, because she'd be watching skiing.  That caused some concern.  But Will and Sherry were there.  He'd be fine.

*****

"Can't we just put everything together so I can take some pictures?" Sherry pleaded with her son.

"Mom, Cait wants to help put the nursery together," Grayson sighed out. "It would be mean to do it when she isn't here. And it's too soon anyhow. We don't want the bedding to get dusty between now and May."

Sherry knew he was right. And she really didn't want to deprive Cait of being there to arrange the nursery.   But she was anxious to see it.  "The baby shower is comin' right up too," she pointed out.  "Pretty soon this room will be full."

"Sooner than you think," Grayson sighed, pointing to a huge box in the closet.  "That was delivered today."

Sherry walked over and opened it, only to find it packed with stuffed dogs of every size and shape imaginable.  "Luke," Grayson clarified.  "Ever since he was here last week, he's been spamming me with texts and he had that shipped.  The guy went from freaking out about us having a baby to, well, to freaking out a whole other way.  Now he wants to buy them toys and bikes and take them to Disney World. He's lost his damn mind."

Sherry laughed at that. "Maybe it will motivate him," she shrugged. "That would make Jennifer happy."

"Sorry to disappoint her," Grayson said dryly, "but Luke says that he's just realized that he can have all of the benefits without any of the headaches. Says he's just gonna spoil my kids rotten."