Week 28 - One Thing Right

You saw right through my pain
Kept us patient while I changed
Never even crossed your mind to walk away
When I was gettin' crazy, reckless and wild
Actin' like my mama's little devilish child
It took a heart like yours to find it's place
I've been at the wrong place at the wrong time
Chasin' all the wrong things most of my life
Been every kind of lost that you can find
But I got one thing right
——One Thing Right, Marshmello ft. Kane Brown

Week Twenty-Eight
Your baby is the size of a head of lettuce

February 20, 2022

"So I started a list of things we need to do," Grayson told his wife.  "And then that led to more lists, so I stopped and bought some binders."

"What?" Cait glanced at him.  It was awfully early on a Sunday morning for this.  But she was up, somewhat grudgingly, getting organized for Connor's delayed birthday.

Now that he had his driver's license, Connor had taken Emma to dinner the night before.  Because today he was celebrating with his guy friends. He was taking five of them to the Grizzlies game that afternoon and then they were coming back to Grayson and Cait's house for dinner and video games.

"We're in the third trimester now," Grayson said mostly patiently. "Shit is boutta get real. We need to get organized for these kids."

"Shit been real, Allen," Cait frowned at him. "Trust me."

"You know what I mean," Grayson told her.  "There's a lot to cover. So I developed a system."

"A system?" Cait asked, raising an eyebrow.

"A baby readiness assessment system," Grayson nodded. "It has two main components."

"This is what you do with your free time on the road?" Cait asked.

"Not fair," Grayson told her. "I worked on this some at home yesterday while you were at yoga. Right now, our ratios are backward. We need to start making progress on my scales."

"Grayson, this might be the dorkiest conversation we've ever had," she said incredulously.

"Caitlin, we need some structure," he insisted. "Currently our baby preparedness level is maybe orange. We need to get that to green. Fortunately, our babies arrival scale is only at DEFCON Five. So we have time to increase our preparedness level before we reach DEFCON One."

"Babe, have you landed on your head again lately?" she asked in confusion. "Because one of us is batshit here and I don't think it's me."

"I want to do this right," he insisted. "I've developed lists and applied metrics, so that we don't overlook anything."

Cait just stared at him.  "You're using Homeland Security's threat assessment guide and a defense readiness indicator to assess my pregnancy?" she asked.

"Conceptually," he nodded.  "I was playing one of my video games and I realized that we need a battle plan."

"Battle plan?" Cait asked in stunned amazement. "Grayson, we aren't taking a hill or something."

"Figure of speech," Grayson said, waving a hand. "We need to get organized. Two newborn babies will cause enough chaos. If we aren't prepared, we won't survive it."