Part Thirty-one

Part Thirty-one

Asad watched Zoya as she sat huddled in the window seat staring out, well at least she was no longer crying, it's been hours he had brought her back home, she spoke to him for few minutes and then sat alone , lost in her depressing thoughts, this wasn't the way he expected to be welcomed but when has things been happened as he wished? Since they got married things never worked out well or as he wished.

He was definitely startled, in the condition he found her, he was angry with her family for leaving her alone in the house. Gafoor was at work, Humaira was at her college for her project, Zoya had insisted Zainab went to visit her relative who was ill and the maid was on leave today, he doesn't care what work they had, he had left her in their responsibility, they should have stayed with her, After a lot of consoling by everyone for hours, got her to stop weeping, they were confused and worried about the matter that got her hysterical again. His mind went to the woman at Walima but she was admitted in asylum and he did call to make sure she was still in. Everyone tried to get her spill whatever happened but she wouldn't and her eyes would glisten with tears again, but he managed to get her speak up once they were alone, well compared to the love of others, she responded better to his orders, she told him about the news she received, two woman had come to meet her mother, she allowed them in as she knew them, they informed about coming to meet her mother and then let the matter out that the persons who were supposed to be getting better after the accidents , indirectly hinting because of coming for her proposal, were finally dead. They didn't stop, they spoke about sharing sympathy with those families that were ruined and the list went on, with every word she spoke his blood boiled. How can people be such inconsiderate about others emotions and he wondered when will people be sensible enough not to believe in superstitions and these were the Muslims they were talking about, there are no superstitions in Islam, these people mix up culture in it and people begin to think these are actual Muslims. He sighed looking at Zoya, she wasn't the one to believe in such things too, but look at what condition she was, she was called unlucky so many times and been mentally tormented that she has started to consider herself a bad presence and blamed herself for all bad things happened because of her. He knew well how you are forced to face something and you are mentally begin to accept it as your fault. He sat in front of her on the window seat and kept his hand on her knee to grab her attention.

"Zoya" She looked at him.

"I understand what you must be feeling" Zoya shook her head.

"No you don't" She replied tiredly.

"Okay, maybe I don't but I can't see you in this condition, please try to understand nothing was in your control" He spoke softly holding her palms.

"It's not that easy Asad" Her eyes glistened with tears. "It's easier said than done" Asad wrapped her in his arms feeling bad for her, she nestled in his lap. He was glad she didn't push him away, he was afraid she would push him away because of the news.

"I know it's difficult but we can't do anything that has happened and we have no control over what will happen, but we can choose how we react to it" Zoya stayed silent.

"You don't understand what it is like to be called unlucky and to be held as a reason for someone's death, you don't know how it feels when people stare at you like you are a murderer" She whispered wallowing in her pain that she didn't notice change in Asad's expressions, he went stiff and tightened his hold on her. He wouldn't understand? He wouldn't know what if feels like? What does she even know about the tag of murderer.

"Asad!" His head shot towards her direction. He quickly loosened his hold. Zoya looked at him worriedly.

"All okay?" She asked, he nodded swiftly.