2. The Graduation Speech

NINETEEN SEVENTY NINE

Author

Every class member of Nineteen Seventy Nine
happily smiled at the endless crowds of people.

Family members and friends of these young individuals screamed in rejoice, clapped, cried, and took a plethora of pictures in remembrance of this unforgettable day. The day they've all been waiting
for since pre-k. Graduation.

Michael, who sat in the front, looked towards his family, screaming his name so loudly that it began
to outcast all the other thunderous bellows.

Inwardly, Michael laughed to himself from how disturbingly loud his family was.

Michael's little sister Janet proudly held up a
poster that said, "My Brother Is The Valedictorian," with a bunch of hearts and an abundance of glitter.

Michael thought it was the most adorable thing ever.

Though Michael was filled with of happiness, he
still felt quite nervous about presenting his speech. Speaking in front of crowds of people was not unusual for Michael as he was an activist, which required him to be vocal amongst many people.

But there was a reason behind why he felt nervous about presenting this speech in front of everyone who attended the graduation. Michael was having quite a bit of trouble writing his speech; every time he would write something, it ended up being bawled inside the bottom of a trashcan barrel. Nothing he wrote seemed to stand out enough for his message to be heard, loud and clear. So he went to the one person he could go to for anything, Abhaya.

The two put out, put in, revised, and revamped Michael's speech for three weeks straight.

Abhaya was a great help to Michael. She gave him good references on what he should touch on. Michael took a few of her ideas and mixed them with some of his own to create the perfect speech.

After countless hours of Michael repeatedly reading his speech to Abhaya for memorization, he assumed
he was ready—up until the day of.

"And now we will be presenting the class Valedictorian of Nineteen Seventy Nine, Michael Jackson!"

A roar of cheers erupted from within the crowd. Michael's family went ballistic as they jumped around and clapped until smoke began to form between their hands. With a deep breath, Michael stood up from his chair and made it up towards the podium.

He glanced over his shoulder to look at Abhaya,
whose eyes were already on him as she smiled from ear to ear. She could sense Michael's nervousness, so she gave him a reassuring wink before mouthing.