35. Nightmares Are Real

NINETEEN SEVENTY-NINE

Abhaya

Two weeks later

I watched as my dad put the last piece of Mohini's luggage inside the trunk of his car. She was leaving today, and she hated me. She hated me because I told our parents about the drugs I found in her room and how she was high. Immediately, our parents put an end to her self-destruction by finding her a rehab center. That was the only option they had because
It was nothing else that could be done for her.

Not all the love in the world can help a drug addict. The only help that they need is professional. That's the only cure because everything else seemed to be out of our hands when it came to Mohini and her recovery to overcome drug addiction. My heart was heavy.

Mohini hasn't said a single word to me since I told
our parents, and that was two weeks ago. My sister, My heart, My other half was leaving me today.

She would be gone for a long time, yet she didn't
even try to acknowledge my existence. She pretended as if I didn't even exist, as if I was a ghost.

It broke my heart because I cared, and I did what had to be done to better her. I guess she didn't see it that way, but one of these days, she would forgive me, and we would be back to how we used to be. We would be close again. "Alright, Mohini. Let's go."

My father said sternly. She was sitting on the front porch with her head down.

Our Mother was hugging her and crying.

This was a sad day.

Mohini stood up and hugged my Mother one last time before walking off the porch and down the patio.

I was on the side of the patio, and she walked straight past me. She didn't even look my way. I was a ghost to her and probably would be for a very long time.

Later that day

The clouds in the sky were turning grey. That was
an indication of rain to soon surface.

I was out driving, just trying to clear my mind from all the pain I had been feeling lately.

I had one week left until I would be heading off to college, yet I felt as if I wasn't in the right headspace.

I felt like I wasn't ready, but I guess everyone goes through that feeling of uncertainty before college. Michael was feeling a bit of the same way as I. He was nervous to venture out but ready for something new.